Any Alaska members on here?

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
It anyone where temp drops below 0. Looking for some advice. I bought a 2004 GMC with the LB7. Having trouble starting it when temps dip below 0. For a block heater just don't really have a good place to plug her in. Any other stuff I can do as far as fuel additive or either?

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Plugging it in is your best bet. I do not have a good place to plug it either, but the other night i hooked all my extension cords together and ran it across the alley to where I have my truck parked and let it sit all night. HUGE difference. it was 5* and it started like it was 50*!

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Yeah, there's a few of us on here. What part of AK are you in?

If everything on your truck is in good working order, and you're running winter blend fuel with an anti-gel additive like Stanadyne or Power Service, you shouldn't be having any problems starting up around 0 degrees.

I remember a GM training video about the Duramax before they were sent to the dealerships. GM required that the engine would start at -15F without use of the block heater, and without using the glow plugs. Both of the LB7's that I've owned started well just like that.

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
My problem is the actual flippin computer freezing up affects the stereo as well. When the radio comes on I know she's warmed up. Northern NV. has had some cold weather that seems to finally be moving off. This may sound crazy but I was doing some work in CO. a long long time ago and I noticed that people in Denver would cover there cars with a blanket or even put in a couple strips of house insulation on the engine and then close up the hood. I'd watch them in the mornings uncovering and pulling insulation out and start there vehicles right up. I've done the same here and well I had to use one of those electric blanket snuggies on the wifes car and it worked. The premise is heat always rises from the earth. Does not help the truck tho with a 6" lift an frozen ECM. My block heater has helped a bit but right now she ain't going no where nice an toasty warm in the garage with the ally in pieces.....still waiting on parts.

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Your ecm is not cause of your truck not starting because of it being to cold. I personally have started my truck at 45 below zero not plugged in without any problems. Insulation bay do a little but but not much. Waste of your time in my opinion. Stereos will slow down severely in the cold.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Frozen PCM? That's a new one on me. Lived here in AK for about 23 years, winter temps as low as -45F and never seen that happen. Maybe the Fairbanks boys who see -60F and colder (frequently) can chime in.

I've seen batteries freeze, trans fluid gel, fuel gel, cooling systems freeze, on & on...

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Webasto Heater would be your best bet. They offer a couple versions, block heat, cab heat & both. They run off of your fuel tank and keep the cooling system warm while the engine is not running.

You need to have the glow plug and fuel system checked as mentioned above. Synthetic fluids in everything. The Duramax starts amazingly well in the cold weather, better than any other diesel engine I have been around up here. There is a reason Alyeska runs D-max only on the slope:thumb:

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
I'm in the anchorage area. It's -12 this morning says the truck thermometer and she won't start at all. Someone told me the diesel fuel here is already treated to not jell. Is that so or do you guys still buy your own and add it? I have heard of the heater that runs off the fuel. I might look into that. I also been meaning to drop my truck off at Rok's auto I think it's called up in Wasilla for a diagnostic to be run on the injectors and stuff.

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
I'm also going to have them check the glow plugs an fuel system. I don't have that much experience working with diesels or else I would do some of it myself in the shop.

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
I'm in the anchorage area. It's -12 this morning says the truck thermometer and she won't start at all. Someone told me the diesel fuel here is already treated to not jell. Is that so or do you guys still buy your own and add it? I have heard of the heater that runs off the fuel. I might look into that. I also been meaning to drop my truck off at Rok's auto I think it's called up in Wasilla for a diagnostic to be run on the injectors and stuff.

You should have number 1 fuel, so yes it is treated to not fell. Rok is pretty good guy to deal with. I'd start with replacing te glow plugs and checking the injectors.

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
Does the truck start well at warmer temperatures?

Yea the truck starts right up when it's 20 degrees out. The closer to 0 and below the harder it starts. It'll turn over fire a couple times unroll it finally takes and stays going. The colder the longer it takes to start.

ljackson2644

Jan 14, 2013
I guess I need to learn my diesel stuff. Maybe I got bad fuel. I'm gonna have to wait till tomorrow and try it again. Supposed to be a little warmer. Pretty much killed the batteries trying to get it started today.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
There is no grid heater in the LB7, just a coil heater in the intake. Having said that, it should start at -45*F. I've done it with good glow plugs. She will not like you....It will come up on 3 cylinders and you can count they cylinders when they come up....

It sounds like you have a couple of bad glow plugs.

I've talked to Rok, and he is a good guy, but he is just learning about D'maxes. He is mostly a Ford and Cummins guy, but he is learning about our rigs. He is about the best I have seen in this area.

The best bet is to plug her in.....