Duramax in a '72 chevy truck????

chevy3234

Feb 27, 2009
Just to give you some background. I have a '72 chevy C10 that has been in my family since day one. My mission is to pay tribute to this work truck and my family by bringing it into this century. I'm looking at the possibility of putting the body of my grandpa's old work truck onto the chasse, engine and basically the guts of a newer truck with a duramax. I plan on keeping the classic look but want this truck to be what it once was, advantageous and a worker with a strong future. Although it probably won't do near as much work as it did when it was new. I'm posting to get some input on how crazy I am. If this is even possible. What problems I'm going to run into. And is there a better idea to reach my goal. Thanks for the help.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Just to give you some background. I have a '72 chevy C10 that has been in my family since day one. My mission is to pay tribute to this work truck and my family by bringing it into this century. I'm looking at the possibility of putting the body of my grandpa's old work truck onto the chasse, engine and basically the guts of a newer truck with a duramax. I plan on keeping the classic look but want this truck to be what it once was, advantageous and a worker with a strong future. Although it probably won't do near as much work as it did when it was new. I'm posting to get some input on how crazy I am. If this is even possible. What problems I'm going to run into. And is there a better idea to reach my goal. Thanks for the help.

Check out last months Diesel Power Joe from PPE did a very similar thing to his white Chevy truck call PPE and talk to Dan he will be able to answer all of your questions

chevy3234

Feb 27, 2009
Thanks alot. I'm really excited to see that its been done. I couldn't find what PPE is?? or where I would find a phone number? Thanks agian for your help!!

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Yep it has been doen, and it is very cool when it is done right. Me and my buddy will be restorin his old 72 3/4 ton at my shop after a while and I have been tryin to get him to put a d-max in it.

Also check out youtube.com and search orange crush duramax.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I will also be doing a swap from my LBZ to my 72 GMC, as soon as the "bastard" motor is done for my LBZ. I cant wait to have the truck (72) done. I inherited it from my grandfather about two years ago. The truck is in great shape as it was his baby.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Does Joe have a harness to do it or is it custom. We've got a 67 K20 on 37"s with a Cummins in it and another Cummins about to get rebuilt for it but my brother thinks he wants a D-Max in it now.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
you can either send the complete harness from your donor engine OR they can supply a harness. It's up to you and obviously the price is reflective of which route you pick.

I hear they use the marine harness when they supply it but that was never mentioned to me when I talked to them so don't know particulars on that.

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
The swap is definitely possible but will take quite a bit of fabrication.

Doing a 2wd makes things much easier & if you go with a manual trans, you will save a lot of floor clearance headaches.

If I would have just swapped the drivetrain, I would have been done already... trying to fit the Allison, 4wd components & dash/column will eat a ton of labor.

An engine harness will be expensive, but will make the swap not much harder than changing to an EFI big block.

You can check out my link below for some pictures of the next generation build (73-87 style)

kjp800

-
Aug 6, 2008
New Jersey
The swap is definitely possible but will take quite a bit of fabrication.

Doing a 2wd makes things much easier & if you go with a manual trans, you will save a lot of floor clearance headaches.

If I would have just swapped the drivetrain, I would have been done already... trying to fit the Allison, 4wd components & dash/column will eat a ton of labor.

An engine harness will be expensive, but will make the swap not much harder than changing to an EFI big block.

You can check out my link below for some pictures of the next generation build (73-87 style)

What makes the swap in a 4wd more difficult? Is the Allison/transfer case the biggest concern? I can get a good price on a 72 Blazer and was thinking of putting a dmax in it. Not really concerned on keeping the Allison if thats going to be a big issue. Thanks for the help, your truck is going to be very impressive when done;)

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
With 4wd, you either have to adapt the early transfercase to the transmission or use the new transfercase & swap the front axle for one with a dr. side differential.

On a 2wd, you just have to deal with the rear drive shaft.