want to go lower....

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i have 3" shackles in the back now....I would like to drop the back another 2" using new front hangers but i cant find any. I ride around now with only about 2-3 turns on the bars and im tired of the back still sitting so high. Where can i find the hangers? i searched with no luck.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
If you see the pictures of my truck from a while ago when it was on black 20s it had the rear leafs out. With the shackles I made it sat about 6'' lower in the back. you will definately need traction bars though.

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
Instead of spending money on drop hangers spend it on traction bars then just pull a leaf or two from the spring packs. You will get a better ride out of it, unless you need the capacity of course.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
thanks guys...i do alot of dragracing. dont really need the capacity. I thought about pulling the overload and getting shorter shocks. Would it be better to pull the overload and maybe on other spring and get caltracs/some other traction bar or buy the Hangers? either way it wont be that much of a cost diffrence...What would you do???? Im just afraid of messing me 60's up at the track. But if i could make them better then... :D

Last edited:

GTA23109a

<-- Prius owners love me
May 9, 2007
Bakersfield, CA
I've used the DJM stuff on a couple of trucks and it has held up very well. I have their shackles and hangers on my current truck with airbags and I tow quite heavy. I used their front lovering arms on my last truck and they stood up very well to lots of miles and towing. I've never used the McGaughys stuff, so I can't comment on that. Only note I might add to your plan is that on my 3500, I had to remove the upper overload spring and stops to get the rear that low. With the airbags, I've never missed them though.

Edit/P.S. Regarding traction bars . . . I know a lot of guys use the caltracs and are very pleased with them, but those things are prettty expensive as I recall. I built a set for my truck and the total outlay was around $100 in materials plus a couple hours of time. I mainly needed mine to stop axle-wrap and shudder while towing heavy so I didn't build in any anti-squat or anti-dive (they're just "flat). Might be something to consider.

Last edited:

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
not sure what i want to do...lower it more or change wheels and tires :D been looking at the procomp 7189's. I wonder how much more they weigh then a stock PYO with a 245? Id like to run atleast a 285 around the same height.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10973 i had to re install my stock hanger from being to low :D . none of the drop shocks are a good choice for our heavy trucks the ones i used are actually duramax shocks , just used on a dual shock set up for the front work out quite well on the rear . i dont recomend bilstiens for the front though , not near enough rebound valving the front end of my truck was realling comming up at the track curently looking for something else for the front maybe a qa1 simon has found some good one that might work .

Last edited:

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Does lowering help (from a drag racing standpoint - i.e. better 60') or are these changes more cosmetic?

I've thought about leveling my truck out more to see if it would improve traction.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10973 i had to re install my stock hanger from being to low :D . none of the drop shocks are a good choice for our heavy trucks the ones i used are actually duramax shocks , just used on a dual shock set up for the front work out quite well on the rear . i dont recomend bilstiens for the front though , not near enough rebound valving the front end of my truck was realling comming up at the track curently looking for something else for the front maybe a qa1 simon has found some good one that might work .

Do you still have the drop hangers? A few people might be interested.