DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Bringing this back up, finally got a machine shop to make the adapter nipple to thread into the 2020 cooler and take the 01-19 oil filter. They are going to cost me ~$30 each. I'm having a run of 10 made, and I believe at least 4 are spoken for. Please comment if you're still interested or need one. I figure I'm not the only one who's trying to do this.
I'm in for one. I don't have anything against the new filter, but I have a ton of PF2232 filters laying around, and all my other rigs still use that filter.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i dont see the older filter sealing on the 2020 cooler. when brad was going to make these adapters, it was under the assumption of using a sandwich adapter that he had and would fit (had a smaller dia o-ring compared to an old style filter). The sealing surface is a smaller dia than the older gens. IIRC the oil filter i used the o-ring from on my adapter was just a smidge smaller than the dia of the sealing surface on the cooler but far smaller than the old style filter o-ring.

ill check my notes at home when i built my adapters for dimentions. dont think i posted them here.

EDIT:

this pic is of the 2020 oil filter o-ring on my adapter mated to the 2020 oil cooler. my overall o-ring recess dia on the adapter is a bit larger than what the oil filter is and that little bit makes just the edge of the o-ring show its self. i see no way the 01-19 filters will seal without an adapter

8357f59617522feae0037523d30c056a.jpg

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
i dont see the older filter sealing on the 2020 cooler. when brad was going to make these adapters, it was under the assumption of using a sandwich adapter that he had and would fit (had a smaller dia o-ring compared to an old style filter). The sealing surface is a smaller dia than the older gens. IIRC the oil filter i used the o-ring from on my adapter was just a smidge smaller than the dia of the sealing surface on the cooler but far smaller than the old style filter o-ring.

ill check my notes at home when i built my adapters for dimentions. dont think i posted them here.

That is correct, my intent is to use with a sandwich plate. I don't recall if the diameter of the sealing surface will accept an early filter. I have not checked that info. I updated my comment a few posts back to reflect this information.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Quick derail - Do either of your sandwich plates use thermostats? I'm having an issue with oil pump noise. I'm using the MOCAL sandwich plate which has a 190deg thermostat and was specially machined for the duramax application. https://3cgarage.com/products/mocal-oil-sandwich-plate-fits-gmc-duramax-diesels It is -12AN all the way though. My best guess is that the temperature of the oils is at or around the thermostat OPENING temp so its not flowing at -12AN flow. I'm thinking of taking out the thermostat to try.. thoughts appreciated.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Quick derail - Do either of your sandwich plates use thermostats? I'm having an issue with oil pump noise. I'm using the MOCAL sandwich plate which has a 190deg thermostat and was specially machined for the duramax application. https://3cgarage.com/products/mocal-oil-sandwich-plate-fits-gmc-duramax-diesels It is -12AN all the way though. My best guess is that the temperature of the oils is at or around the thermostat OPENING temp so its not flowing at -12AN flow. I'm thinking of taking out the thermostat to try.. thoughts appreciated.

The way it “should” work is by running all the flow in the conventional path until it reaches the thermostat’s opening temp. As the thermostat opens it will gradually allow more and more flow through the aux system until it is fully open and will do the opposite as fluid temps come down.

Is this noise new after adding the aux cooler? Is your aux cooler sized for the flow rate of the engine (15-20gpm)? Any of your lines kinked?

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
The way it “should” work is by running all the flow in the conventional path until it reaches the thermostat’s opening temp. As the thermostat opens it will gradually allow more and more flow through the aux system until it is fully open and will do the opposite as fluid temps come down.

Is this noise new after adding the aux cooler? Is your aux cooler sized for the flow rate of the engine (15-20gpm)? Any of your lines kinked?

Yes the noise is new after the cooler. I'm using a Fluidyne DB 30618 https://www.fluidyne.com/products/db-30618-oil-cooler -12AN flow. Checked hoses - no kinks. Checked fittings - all tight. No noise when thermostat is closed, noise when it opens. Basically the pump is starting to stress when having to pump though the cooler. Flow is completely un-restricted as far as i can tell. Aside from removing the whole thing.. not sure what to do next.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Yes the noise is new after the cooler. I'm using a Fluidyne DB 30618 https://www.fluidyne.com/products/db-30618-oil-cooler -12AN flow. Checked hoses - no kinks. Checked fittings - all tight. No noise when thermostat is closed, noise when it opens. Basically the pump is starting to stress when having to pump though the cooler. Flow is completely un-restricted as far as i can tell. Aside from removing the whole thing.. not sure what to do next.

Just remove the adapter and check it see it the noise is still there after the oil warms up. I dout the system is causing the pump to make noise but could be wrong. Like said is dosen't bypass all flow into the system so it really shouldn't matter if the tstat is not opening all the way should just cause the system not to cool as well.

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
Soooo I don’t think that the 2020 cooler will work for lmm trucks seeing how there is a heater core/egr hose going to the elbow of the cooler. Is there a way to run that hose someplace else? I have profab manifolds so I have their coolant line relocating fitting installed currently.

Jun 27, 2017
Nebraska
Soooo I don’t think that the 2020 cooler will work for lmm trucks seeing how there is a heater core/egr hose going to the elbow of the cooler. Is there a way to run that hose someplace else? I have profab manifolds so I have their coolant line relocating fitting installed currently.

I just did this by adding a T fitting to one of the coolant temp sensors and running my hose to it from the heater core.

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
Have you found anything with this yet? I was looking at getting the Mocal sandwich plate and that cooler as well.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Have you found anything with this yet? I was looking at getting the Mocal sandwich plate and that cooler as well.

I just this last weekend changed to full synthetic 5-40, but also a ton of other changes including compounds. Since I added lower temp thermostats, and it’s been below 50 here, I haven’t really been able to prove it’s been flowing or the sandwich thermostat has had to open. So far no noise, but as I said before, no noise when the oil was cool or not flowing though cooler. I did some WOT runs and should have seen some oil temp increase, but no noise. Once the weather warms back up here in northern Nevada I’ll hook up my trailer and give it a good test. So to answer you question - it’s inconclusive right now.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Well I did this cooler about 7 months ago and it has been great in the cooler months hauling my 39' fifth wheel. Now that it is starting to warm up I have had to go from my 3 tune down to 2. Don't get me wrong it still tows just fine, I just don't want to be that guy towing a 65 mph on the interstate. When it hits 95+ degrees that will be me.

My water temps are not a problem but the oil temps will still climb over time. I was wondering if the oil pump had enough flow to add a second cooler of the same size at the back of the truck ( I know about the more turbulent air back so it would have to be ducted) . It would still have -10 hoses throughout. I just don't know about the stock oil pump flow. Thanks for the help.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
250 constant on tune 3 up 290 momentary 85 OT. 230 on tune 2 up 280 momentary 85 OT. I am running synthetic but still bothers me as a DD. All of this is holding back when it gets hot. I have read your whole cooling post James so I know you have tried it all. I have read everything I can on Duramax oil temps, no real end numbers come up.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Are you watching coolant temp via the gauge or digital gauge?

I’m surprised you are not getting high coolant temps at that oil temp

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Both, gauge says 210 cts has not gone above 220. I have the oil temp probe in the mocal plate right now. I have an analog gauge to put in engine oil cooler just to try out, and have a different probe for the cts as well.

The temps were not jumping around they were increasing with power. This does not mean that the sensor is not bad. My placement might be bad.