ATP no longer offering tuning?

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
There’s a difference in between being at peace with something in sticking your head in the sand about the government doing something wrong.

I’m at peace with Rob‘s decision. Hell it’s his business he could close the doors tomorrow. What I want to know is how this came about? Like you said he was one of the better guys in the industry. Why are they going after him and not these idiots out there still selling smoke tunes and make TV shows about it. That isn’t it right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Because, imo, he was making the power and defeating emissions testing equipment at the same time. It's one thing to remove emissions devices but to completely modify a vehicle and leave them intact says alot about how pointless they are

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Yeah it was basically a slap in the face to them, you know I feel bad for Rob and his business that was a major income source he lost, realistically he has no other choice to be at peace with it because the decision was made for him

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
So why is EPA not cracking down on the gasser world then? There are probably 10 times as many tuned gas engines that are passing emissions.

He’s not making anyone look like a fool because his tune trucks were still passing emissions checks.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Why because of money, that's what it boils down too , there's too much to be had in the diesel industry ,diesels are not going anywhere and they are well needed.

Oh yea and
"they blow Blacksmoke" Ching Ching

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
So your saying the epa cracked down on Rob because there is more money in tuning diesels then gassers? Confused...

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Well I was talking more about the EPA as a whole setting strict Emmision regulations on diesel versus gasoline

Why they cracked down on Rob is just so they can get their way ,

can imagine they want people to keep thinking diesels are just big ole smelly ,loud pollution making monsters .. and that they actually need emissions and that is the "only "way they will run clean.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I think we might be reading too much into why Rob specifically got shut down. He is not the first, and will not be the last. I suspect either someone called him in, or just through chance he got hit with a sting, or they started going through the list of diesel shops, starting with "A".

I do think the EPA benefits by keeping the perception of diesels as smelly and smokey, because the general public hates the smell/smoke, which makes it easier to regulate diesels more. But I am not sure I am willing to give the EPA enough credit to be planning far enough ahead to go after "clean" tuners first.

Somewhat off topic, I really wonder if we didn't get the "coal rolling" culture springing up and being dicks to the general public, would the EPA be treating diesel modifications like gas modification? I think there is a lot of pressure from the general public pushing the EPA to crack down on diesels. I've been on the receiving end of a smokeout, or even just behind some Cummins bro blacking out the whole intersection, and it is really annoying to have to wait until you can see the dang lanes again. I can understand their frustration, and why they might start complaining to any agency who will listen.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
The way I see it is Rob was trying something different and having success showing no need for equipment that was already making others a butt load of cash.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
If he was making more power with clean tunes I would bet that's why he got shut down. Prove emissions bs is uneeded then you cut off money supply to someone.

Me thinks someone high up somewhere in or around the EPA is making a lot of money off of emissions equipment.

Land of the fr....... er wait, never mind.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
If he was making more power with clean tunes I would bet that's why he got shut down. Prove emissions bs is uneeded then you cut off money supply to someone.

Me thinks someone high up somewhere in or around the EPA is making a lot of money off of emissions equipment.

Al Gore lining his pockets....

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
You guys really think the EPA mandates manufacturers to have a dpf / scr? No, they have to meet standards, it is up to the manufacturer to equip the engine to do so.

I'll say it again, just because the emissions system is intact, does NOT mean the tunes could pass an emissions certification test.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014

Al Gore lining his pockets.... Ok maybe not specifically but there's a lot of slime in that swap

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Get in, make a but load of money, and get out before the EPA catches you.

We all knew this was illegal, it was a matter of time.

Sucks for Rob and ATP, and all the employees that worked under him, but every one of us took the risk. Hell, I registered all my dmax' up north in a county I don't even live in so I could avoid emissions testing because of my deleted EGR etc. I too myself wish the shittier companies out there would be on the radar more than one of the OG pioneers for our trucks, but it's a crapshoot.

JMO.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
At some point these posts just kept getting stupider and stupider.

My main worry is Danville done as well or no? Or was removing tuning a preventative measure.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I messaged mark and he said as of now all is well but don’t know day to day. I’m a firm believer that someone high up in he political ring always has their fingers I. Things that become more and more popular or mandated. You can’t get a job around her without a temp service first. Wonder who gets paid millions from them?

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ

When he left the emissions intact he did it so they still worked properly. He didn't prove they were not needed. I would bed his delete tunes would never meet nox levels. As far as I know he never had his tunes properly epa tested to prove they met epa standards. Not Sure if that would have even made it legal if he went through that process ( if there even is a process to do that)

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
EPA doesn't just do this overnight, it a timely process like most government agencies. moves like mollasses, but it keeps moving. It's just a matter of time, before all the big time tuners are shut down.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
When he left the emissions intact he did it so they still worked properly. He didn't prove they were not needed. I would bed his delete tunes would never meet nox levels. As far as I know he never had his tunes properly epa tested to prove they met epa standards. Not Sure if that would have even made it legal if he went through that process ( if there even is a process to do that)
There is a process to do that, but it is expensive. Banks does that for their tuner and for their performance parts, and it is why they don't get shut down. They also make "race only" parts (like their Big Hoss intake), but they don't offer custom tuning to the public (AFAIK), which should keep them safe.

The beauty of the Urea injection is in theory, you could control NOx even with high timing by just hosing it in. With how cheap DEF is, it might actually make sense to dial up the timing and burn less diesel and more DEF. But with how much those tests cost, I doubt anyone will try.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I messaged mark and he said as of now all is well but don’t know day to day. I’m a firm believer that someone high up in he political ring always has their fingers I. Things that become more and more popular or mandated. You can’t get a job around her without a temp service first. Wonder who gets paid millions from them?

Always with the Conspiracies. Why don’t you ask an employer? That’s smart Just smart business now days with mandates of Obamacare and everything else.