Wtf??

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Hopefully you can see what I'm taking about in the pic...

Went to my buddies shop last night to watch him spruce up the ol' 7.3 powerstroke. While I was there I was just looking at all the truck there for repairs. Mostly fords of course then there was an lly for head gaskets and an LMM for melted heads/blow head gaskets....any ways I'm just looking at the lly and see the turbo covered in oil and upon closer inspection I see the compressor wheel. It's all messed up but looks so perfectly done that it almost looks like it was designed that way. There is literally a 1/4" gap all the way around the compressor wheel and housing and the fins on the very tips are perfectly rounded over. The compressor wheel probably measured 50 mm instead of 63.5mm. I thought it was some new kind of wheel. My buddy said the wheel got "dusted" and they see it on 7.3's all the time. I've never seen this before. He also said they told the customer and he said it "still ran perfect". Compressor has not touched the housing and the turbo is still tight as new.

20140311_184344_zpsf235bcb6.jpg

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I may be wrong but I think one of the years has a bigger wheel in the stock charger. Wonder if someone broke the cover and just swapped it out.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
04.5-05 lly's have a 63.5mm compressor where as all the other years are roughly a 62mm. Customer claims he has never touched the turbo.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I bet it is all the crap from EGR and PCV getting sucked into the turbo...:baby:

egr doesnt pass through the turbo and if the oil from the PCV is causing wear like that, you can bet the pistons have as much gap around them as the turbo so i doubt that

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I wonder how well the truck actually runs. The customer said it ran great:roflmao: customer stated to leave it be and he will continue to run it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Thats crazy never seen anything like it. Must have been driving without a filter or something for a long time...

Wonder what kind of boost she makes:roflmao:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
The customer obviously doesn't know better lol

Reminds me of the screen shot of a forum post I saw that described how one individual tried to "port" his heads.....by allowing the motor to suck up close to 5lbs of sand while revving the motor. Engine died before it could swallow the whole 5lb bag of sand.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have a buddy that sucked a rag into an lb7 turbo. Bent all the blades bad, broke 3/8" or more off a couple. A real mangled up mess. That was 2 years ago and it is still going. Really doesn't run too bad and almost sounds more like a super charger than a turbo. I never imagined it would make it as long as it has. He beats on the truck regularly too

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I wonder what the rings and cylinder walls look like if its ingested enough dirt to file off the blades.