Question: WTF happened to McRat???

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
:hello:

:hug:

Sorry for the long absence. (no not Absinthe)

I've been very busy moving our business. It's amazing how much crap I had accumulated after 18 years. And due to the nature of our business (a metrology laboratory), there were some significant changes required to the new building to accomodate the move.

Good news is that the move is nearly complete. Just have to make some final changes to the compressed air system, the electrical room, and the forklift problem (3 forklifts, none of them are worth a shit :D), and then I can get back to having a life.

I've been working 7 days a week, up to 20 hours a day, for last 2-3 months. I'm getting too old for that crap. :rofl:

Our new lab is PURDY! Thanks out to all who have helped with muscle, brains, or advice. I'd like to single out Rob:welcome6:, Ralph:ralph:, and Robert:nanawrench:, among those who have saved my arse with the move.

For the geeks out there, here's some specifics of move:

Found out that you absolutely need an aftercooler on your compressor if you are running a refrig line dryer. We had BOTH our compressors fail right as we we were moving (we have a primary and backup compressor), and I ordered an IR compressor without the aftercooler as a quick fix. Nope. The air is so hot leaving the compressor, that the dryer can't do it's job. A better IR compressor is on the way.

After tearing up the entire ceiling, the breaker panel, and most the wall outlets, we could not find the reason for our voltage drops on 2 circuits. 30 circuits were 121-118v at max load (good), but two were dropping down to under 110v when lightly loaded. So I ran new lines to those circuits, and killed the old circuits. Found a lot of electrical issues like 12ga wire on 30 amp circuits, multiple wires on circuit breakers, missing grounds, etc. When moving into a new building take the time/money and double check all the electrics. It will save you a lot of money in the long run. Test by getting 2 cheap microwaves, and firing them up on the circuit while watching the voltage.

Chem-Dry Carpet Cleaners SUCK. Do not use those people. You will be sorry AND overcharged. Honestly, you are better off not cleaning the carpet than using them. Why? Their method can and will damage your carpet permanently, and it does a lousy job anyhow.

I will post pics in this thread in the next couple of days of what it ended up looking like, and will do some reviews of stuff that is useful to any shop.

Again, thanks for your patience, and I can't wait to get back to hotrodding.:hello:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Good stuff Pat! Honestly, i stopped reading after the first pargraph.

Ive been up for days working though and glad to see things are good with you.

keep Ralph working and feed him a taco, He will be fine:D

BTW go do some racing for the both of us:)

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Hahahahahaha. ChEMDRY sucks

I been saying that for years

If you weren't 2000 miles away I could hook you up with a real van mount, hot water extraction.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
With you never on here and Kat laid up this site has been about as exciting as watching paint dry. If fact if I can't sleep I come and read the daily posts and it puts me to sleep ASAP.:D

Hope you can get that white e/c back on the track, there is another one that lives in Central Oregon that wants to show it it's tail lights.;)

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Thanks!

Here's a pic of Wendy (2500HD 4x4) with a 4500lb granite CMM table in the bed:

Hey Pat what do you think of Zeiss? It is what my shop runs and seems to be much better then what I have played on it in passed.

P.S. My shop moved at the start of July when we moved the CMM's we had to stop work for 4 days to let them climatize to the new shop and the colder CMM room now we keep it at 72 F was 78 at the old shop A/C sucked.