Wow my LB7 is making me old. Mucho problemo

ArizonaCoal

Jun 23, 2012
So here is the story.

I bought an 04 about a year ago. It had low bottom end power but once the turbo spooled it would get some. I figured that had to do with the 35s and 3:73s. So had the truck about 8 months and it would blow white smoke after idling a while. (Injectors) Had them changed. Got it back from the mechanic that put them in and had a fuel knock on #6. Drive down the road shut off #6 knock gone. Was working out of town for a while and the injectors he put in olny had a 90 day warranty. I talked to him and he said to take it to his other buddy that had a tech2 and a genesis. So took it to him.

He run it around for about 2-3 week messing with the diagnosis/computer. Finally decided it was injectors. He said the injectors that his buddy put in were crap. I needed to put in new bosch injectors. So I was like cool go for it what ever.

While doing this he told me that the milage on the computer doesn't match truck. I was like okay but lets deal with the injectors first.

So he wwnt to pull it into his shop and it wouldn't start. He put a new fuel filter on still no start. So he digs into the injectors. pulling out the new/old ones he finds the #6 had stacked copper washers and a bunch of the o rings on the other injectors were not seated.

So he gets all the injectors in and truck won't start. He starts screwing with the ecm and it stop communicating with him. I bought another ECM from ECM performance and he puts it in and goes to calibrate the crank and secruity and it kicks him out and deleteds the ecm. Okay so now download another ecm program for GM and he puts it in the ECM and it takes but no dash lights or gauges or stereo and no start.

After this he says motor has no compression on any cylinders!!!! He says it jumped timing. Or has something to do with the timing gear being loose on the crank and wants to take the whole front of the truck apart to get to the timing cover and crank and stuff.

He has had my truck since April...........
I lossing patience and start to think about telling him to stick it and going to get the truck and take it to the local dealer.

The biggest thing that get to me is I drove the truck to him and it RAN fairly good. Now it seems to have catastrafic failures every time I turn around. This injector job is gettin up ther aroound 8K Dollars..

Any suggestion?

I was looking at a duramax block at anouther shop and for that thing to jump timing it would have to be major screwed.

Sorry bout the spelling. LOL
Thanks

ArizonaCoal

Jun 23, 2012
If that thing jumped timing. Wouldn't it have screwed the whole valve train?
Is there anything else that would cause no compression in all cylinders?

This guy is a certified Duramax and allison tech.. Atleast he has the patches.

ArizonaCoal

Jun 23, 2012
That is one of the things that he wanted to check. Would that cause no compression? I can see why it would cause no start.

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
No that wouldn't cause low comp. All it does is give a signal. You can pull the crank sensor and stick your finger or a magnet in the hole and see if it is loose, takes about 10 minutes to check. If #6 had stacked coppers it wouldn't seat properly, and the return lines wouldn't be one right I would think. I feel bad for ya man, sounds like your just getting the runaround.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wow. RUN!!! where ever you got that truck, pick it up and take it to a good dealer/mechanic.

If iit dropped compression on all cyl ill bet the cups were never re-sealed after he replaced them the second time. Why the ecm wont connect i dunno but sounds like some wires have been messed up in his work process.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I agree with dbev24. I think the sooner the truck gets to a dealer/reputable mechanic the better. Your confidence in the person who has it now is obviously gone. Sorry for your troubles I know you must be horribly frustrated. Cut your losses with whoever has it now and go to GM dealer mechanic is my suggestion. On the flip side of all this (and I hate to contradict my previous advice) as a subcontractor myself, if I was to have an unhappy customer for some reason, I would want an opportunity to make it right. Ultimately you alone must decide wether or not he deserves one last chance.

ArizonaCoal

Jun 23, 2012
See that is what I was thinking. I think I'll give him this week to check out the crank and timing. I told him if the valves are bent that it was on him cause the truck ran and drove when I took it to him. I see no way that all of this would have failed while he had it unless he did something stupid with it while he was driving it around with the computer hooked up.

I will give him the chance to make it right but if he comes back and says it needs more work/money and it is something that he could of screwed up than I'll take it from him and take it to the dealer.

At least with the dealer I know the owner of the dealership and he will back me if the need comes to try to get the previous machanic to cover the costs.

I just want the thing running. Then I gotta deal with the ecm thing. The mechanic says he has a used one that he could flash and put in there. if that one goes that will be 3 ecm's and that will have to be on him also.

I don't think him and I are going to be friends after this whole thing.

Where's the bash thread????? I may need it.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
I've never seen "patches" fix a vehicle, I know your story is a little incomplete but this guy has no clue, pay for your parts get your truck and get some references for someone you can trust!

ArizonaCoal

Jun 23, 2012
I've never seen "patches" fix a vehicle, I know your story is a little incomplete but this guy has no clue, pay for your parts get your truck and get some references for someone you can trust!

What would be incomplete about my story?

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
We all have our moments but come on, this isnt rocket science, and if he f'ed something up he Just needs to get it fixed and eat the mistake!