LLY: Worried.. Coolant Question

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
Yeah I was going to get the big jugs of distilled water from the grocery store 3 gallon ones, and empty the junk thats in there now, fill it up drive around, empty, fill it up and empty, and then add the concentrate mix, but yes you can buy both premix and concentrate, the system doesnt look muddy yet, and they probably added universal coolant to it, so it probably wont mud, but I'm not going to take any chances.

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
I've seen some post that people use De-ionized water, if that's the case i could make my own, i have a massive RO/DI unit 300 gal per day. I would think de-ionized would be terrible in a aluminum system

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
Don't buy anything 50/50 whatever you do. If you flush with water or distilled water and don't drain the block, just fill with straight antifreeze. If you do drain the block completely you should still use straight antifreeze, just mix it with water or distilled water about 60% antifreeze 40% water. That 50/50 crap they sell you is a complete rip off!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
I'm just trying to figure out how much the remaining block water will dilute the solution, and how to mix it going in, I really don't want it to freeze when it hits -45 for a a couple of months straight.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I get this much every time I drain from the drain plug, not removing the block plugs. Once I get the system clean I will probably put straight coolant in until I'm full. The total capacity is right at six gallons so I'm hoping to get most of the 3 gallons of straight coolant I have to fit in.

Attachments

• IMAG1422.jpg
    IMAG1422.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 27

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Go buy a cheap antifreeze hydrometer it will tell you everything. But if it were me I would do half Dex and half water to start, the block doesn't hold much compared to the radiator.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
When I drain mine, I get closer to 5 gallons out by pulling the lower radiator hose after the radiator drain stops working.

If you want to flush it with distilled water to get residue out, you will need more than 3 gallons. I'd pick up ~10 gallons, so you have a few flushes worth of water. It is less than $1/gallon where I live.

I have run nothing but DexCool in my Duramax, and several other GM motors, for their whole lives. Never had any problems. If you are worried about the water left in the block, after the last flush with distilled water, fill the motor with 60% DexCool instead of 50%.

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
hahah, I just went out tonight and bought 4 bottles of Prestone Dex-Cool, I'll probably go pickup some of those big 3 gallon jugs to do a few flushes tomorrow! I will flush it on the weekend though.

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
Well Thank god I flushed it, first bit came out orange, 2nd flush was opaque, then third flush was pure green, i kept flushing till clear, and then ran the hose on it for a long time, I blew all the water out of the block with the bleed screw open, just kept pouring in new dex until it ran pure orange out of the bleed screw! My temps are even better now, amazing Thanks for the help guys.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Good thing it's done now and not later when it's too late!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk