LLY: Wont boost over 30 lbs with EFI tune and HTT turbo

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
Back when i was running PPE tuning i could get 41 lbs out of my HTT. Now with the efi live tune it fuels hard till 30 lbs then lays down, the boost guauge will hold at 30 lbs steady but not go past. It is a 60 llb guage and verified. You can feel the difference in power once it hits 30 lbs. 374 RWHP vs 530 with PPE tuning.

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
... Probably not...... what tables would they be? im new to this whole efi thing, doesnt help that my truck is 5300 kms away for a few days but i figured id get ready for it .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Back when i was running PPE tuning i could get 41 lbs out of my HTT. Now with the efi live tune it fuels hard till 30 lbs then lays down, the boost guauge will hold at 30 lbs steady but not go past. It is a 60 llb guage and verified. You can feel the difference in power once it hits 30 lbs. 374 RWHP vs 530 with PPE tuning.

another thing .... what kind of #'s are in the tune as far as pulse width , timming , fuel pressure ? hp seems low even with only 30psi , but as beach said could be a limmiting table . not shure whats on the lly , my lb7 doesnt have any just dtc's for overboost .

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
another thing .... what kind of #'s are in the tune as far as pulse width , timming , fuel pressure ? hp seems low even with only 30psi , but as beach said could be a limmiting table . not shure whats on the lly , my lb7 doesnt have any just dtc's for overboost .

Well the Base tune makes 485 hp on a stock turbo injector truck with a lift pump.... so those should be adequate, but ill get some numbers when i get home.

sounds like more typical LLY wierdness/unexplainable problems.. :mad: :rolleyes:

Thats what worries me, but i cant understand why ppe tuning would yeild over 40 lbs.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Well the Base tune makes 485 hp on a stock turbo injector truck with a lift pump.... so those should be adequate, but ill get some numbers when i get home.

Thats what worries me, but i cant understand why ppe tuning would yeild over 40 lbs.

just trying to verify your are injecting as much fuel as a ppe would . if you log it you will know if you are hitting a limmiting table it should show in the mm3 amount .

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
if ben is experiencing the same weird issues I am, then it will show a decrease in mm3...yes...we know we are hitting some limiting table. But we dont know which one. There is a lot of LLY stuff that has yet to be found. Other than Pat, who else is making huge power with the LLY? No one. They are all LB7's or LBZ's. Even pat hints hes switching to LBZ stuff, but IMO I dont think he wants to do it because he has been such a hard core LLY supporter all along that to switch to LBZ stuff would sort of be admitting defeat and conceiting the fact that LLY hardware has many limiting factors. No offence pat, but if I were in your shoes I would feel the same way. :)

I have had so many LB7 and LBZ guys laugh at me "haha you're an idiot, you cant fix a simple defuel/power-limiting issue? Learn how to tune...its so easy to get rid of the limp mode tables"

Well, ive invited many LB7 and LBZ tuners who know their stuff and make big LB7/LBZ power, and guess what. My truck still acted wierd with their "guaranteed fix" tunes. Even Pat experienced that random issue when he was doing a LSR run...the defuels are random. They usually occur around ~3100rpm, but its so hard to diagnose because SOMETIMES it happens, and other times its fine.

Ive heard it all from everyone else on what needs to be done to fix it. IMO the only person who can help me (and other people who sometimes experience these random LLY issues) is Ross at EFILive because he is the only person that knows exactly what is going on in our ECM's and what the ECM's are thinking at any given moment.

ben

Last edited:

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
The LLY's need a few more tables to play with, but I imagine that we are pretty far down on the list as far as getting any attention. I'd like to find the fix to the hesitate when you stab the throttle problem:(.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
my truck runs good but as i just noticed in a log my mm3 does bounce around at full throttle. it will go from 105 and drop down to 90 for like two frames and jump back up to 105. i cant really figure out why. i have watched the log so many times i could almost draw the freaking graph for you. i have also ran the log while i had the tune open and i cant find anything. some help would be much appreciated. perhaps you would like to take look ben :hug:
if ben is experiencing the same weird issues I am, then it will show a decrease in mm3...yes...we know we are hitting some limiting table. But we dont know which one. There is a lot of LLY stuff that has yet to be found. Other than Pat, who else is making huge power with the LLY? No one. They are all LB7's or LBZ's. Even pat hints hes switching to LBZ stuff, but IMO I dont think he wants to do it because he has been such a hard core LLY supporter all along that to switch to LBZ stuff would sort of be admitting defeat and conceiting the fact that LLY hardware has many limiting factors. No offence pat, but if I were in your shoes I would feel the same way. :)

I have had so many LB7 and LBZ guys laugh at me "haha you're an idiot, you cant fix a simple defuel/power-limiting issue? Learn how to tune...its so easy to get rid of the limp mode tables"

Well, ive invited many LB7 and LBZ tuners who know their stuff and make big LB7/LBZ power, and guess what. My truck still acted wierd with their "guaranteed fix" tunes. Even Pat experienced that random issue when he was doing a LSR run...the defuels are random. They usually occur around ~3100rpm, but its so hard to diagnose because SOMETIMES it happens, and other times its fine.

Ive heard it all from everyone else on what needs to be done to fix it. IMO the only person who can help me (and other people who sometimes experience these random LLY issues) is Ross at EFILive because he is the only person that knows exactly what is going on in our ECM's and what the ECM's are thinking at any given moment.

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I'd like to find the fix to the hesitate when you stab the throttle problem:(.

yup, that one too. :rolleyes:

if you are crusiing around town and mash it, it downshifts, and you can literally count "one-onethousand" before it "rolls" in the fuel. Thats a good way to describe it...the LLY's dont fuel hard when you mash it; they "roll" in the throttle.

man if they had DSP available for the LBZ's, I woulda swapped to LBZ stuff a longggg time ago.

ben

Guys, I would suggest you compile a 'wish list' of fixes that need to be done for the LLY and post them over on the LLY forum at EFILive. Ross was not aware there was such issues still.

Based on what is posted in this thread it seems Pat and Brayden have got things working pretty good on the LLY so I suppose the question is did they find a trick to using the tables that are there to make it all work?

Cheers
Cindy

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
what are the chances that B0783 might have something to do with this

I'm not convinced that torque limiting would come into play during the initial acceleration when we experience this lull in performance. This table might come into play in torque limiting, but the description indicates it will mainly be noticeable in 4wd low.

I like Cindy's reply, lets put our problems out in the efi lly forum :D, maybe we'll get shown a little love.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Check the shaft play on the turbo with a dail indicator. I had the same problem with my HTT...the bearings were shot.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
I have alot of these same problems with my lly and thought it was only me. i was startin to think i was crazy . my lag when stomping on the throttle is ungodly slow especially with my htt turbo and the best boost i have ever seen from it is 37 psi not to mention the 5 second hesitation in four low