which clutch do i get next?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
alright zf guys, i need some input on the clutches you have, how you like them, how much power you are putting down, and how much sled pulling you do. right now i have a valair dual disc with the cintered iron disc and it seems as though i may have somehow warped a disc. the clutch does not disengage all the way making it really hard to go into gear. it actually will still move with the pedal through the firewall in reverse and 1st gear. i know i can have this one rebuilt but i dont have time for that and i would like a clutch with better street manners. any input would be great, thanks.

Frankin_truck

Nov 22, 2013
I just got a south bend dual disk for my truck, hope it works good. I have a friend with a valair dual disc. He had it rebuilt and changed to the 3 lever style pressure plate (was the fan style) and had nothing but issues ever since.:mad: just my .02 cents

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Got a buddy that has had his vlair out three times with issues. I have a 650 hp south bend dual disc. Me being me I could deal with it the 750 hp clutch I can still tow and take off good but it is grabby. Gets worse in town when it warms up or in line at the strip. I don't sled pull often but I have twice very smooth engagement. I know if I dump it in 4th it has no issues going sideways immediately. I'm very very hard on this clutch and no issues in 20,000 miles.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
well shoot boys, i already ordered the ceramic valair for now because i will have to have the other one rebuilt. just didnt have time to have it rebuilt right now. i probably should have gone with the south bend though.

nathan2034

Feb 7, 2011
havent had any luck with my vailair like frankin truck was saying. still trying to figure it out. really sucks:(

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
South bend, I have tried Valair a couple times and they are crap! noisy rattle worse then SB at idle and had a pressure plate go bad in one also.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
"If you don't have time to do it right the first time how will you have time to do it again" lol just a quote. I know how a time crunch sucks.

Brassfield

Jan 14, 2014
West Plains, MO
We have ran a sbc single disk for a few years with lots of towing, grabbiest thing we have ever had, hard to take off smooth at all with big loads and long hills it doesn't like at all. this is a stock 1 ton so I expected better results from the sbc that was suppose to be rated for 450hp and good towing. I have put quite a few valairs in dodges around here and like them a lot better than the sbc. So that's whats going in it next and the pull truck is getting valair treatment as well

south bend clutch

Aug 20, 2013
We have ran a sbc single disk for a few years with lots of towing, grabbiest thing we have ever had, hard to take off smooth at all with big loads and long hills it doesn't like at all. this is a stock 1 ton so I expected better results from the sbc that was suppose to be rated for 450hp and good towing. I have put quite a few valairs in dodges around here and like them a lot better than the sbc. So that's whats going in it next and the pull truck is getting valair treatment as well

You are experiencing bad engagement because you bought a clutch way over rated for the truck. If you have a stock truck maybe you should have bought our clutch rated for that. Bigger is not always better that is why we make different level clutches to fit the HP of the trucks.

Peter