LLY: Where can I plumb into my fuel fill hoses and not cause problems?

bmfx1

Jun 6, 2008
Yuba City, Ca
Hey guys, I'm looking for a spot to tie into my fuel filler hoses so I can transfer fuel from my aux. fuel tank to my main fuel tank. I have a Cummins electric fuel pump that I'm going to mount under the bed, I just am unsure if I can use the smaller 'vent' hose at the fuel fill neck. I haven't found any diagrams of the fuel hose routing, so I'm not sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I use a "T" to tie into the vent hose and gravity feed into the truck through a filter. It will never overfill this way but doing this limits how fast you can fill your tank at the fuel pump.

I had a pump tied in at one time to both the filler neck like sweetdiesel does and then I switched to the vent hose. The filler neck was the better way to go, but when using the filler neck, if your pump leaks internally it will over fill the truck. Also with a pump, hook a light up to the switch so that you don't forget to turn it off. Don't ask me how I know.....:eek:

Last edited:

bmfx1

Jun 6, 2008
Yuba City, Ca
I am just looking to feed my main tank fuel from my aux tank. You guys using plastic airline to transfer fuel? Or rubber fuel hose?

Thanks 'lotsofmiles', I'll call dually depot, I didn't see it on their website.

bmfx1

Jun 6, 2008
Yuba City, Ca
I use a "T" to tie into the vent hose and gravity feed into the truck through a filter. It will never overfill this way but doing this limits how fast you can fill your tank at the fuel pump.

I had a pump tied in at one time to both the filler neck like sweetdiesel does and then I switched to the vent hose. The filler neck was the better way to go, but when using the filler neck, if your pump leaks internally it will over fill the truck. Also with a pump, hook a light up to the switch so that you don't forget to turn it off. Don't ask me how I know.....:eek:

That's exactly where I was thinking of tieing into with a 'T', I wasn't sure if the vent hose goes directly into the tank and/or if it's tied into something else. I am looking at using a pump so I can refill my main tank while driving, and yes I also thought about a very bright light that reminds me the pump is on...hehe. I can imagine it wouldn't be a pretty sight if forgotten :eek: So you don't have any problems using the vent hose with a pump? That Cummins electric pump does flow quite a bit of fuel.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
The one from dually depot has an in and out in case you forget and leave the pump on. It will just pump back up into the aux tank.

And yea not on their site. I ordered one via phone from them before. If you do, post a pic of it plz. I shouldn't have let it go with the van when I sold it

bmfx1

Jun 6, 2008
Yuba City, Ca
The one from dually depot has an in and out in case you forget and leave the pump on. It will just pump back up into the aux tank.

And yea not on their site. I ordered one via phone from them before. If you do, post a pic of it plz. I shouldn't have let it go with the van when I sold it

I called dually depot, ed was the guy I talked to and he said he had nothing like it? Maybe I wasn't explaining myself very well, I dunno :confused:
Do you remember what the name of the part is? Maybe that will jog his memory :D

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I took a 2" hose barbed fitting (avail at hose store) and drilled a hole in it and welded a 3/4" barbed fitting to it to make a 2"x2"x3/4" 'T', then cut filler line and put it in. then put a ball valve between the aux tank and the filler neck. I reach under my rear fender and fill the truck up. Takes about 10 minutes if tank is vented. For tank vent I 'T'ed into the small filler vent line. Works like a charm. No pumps. Just pull over and fill truck up.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
That's exactly where I was thinking of tieing into with a 'T', I wasn't sure if the vent hose goes directly into the tank and/or if it's tied into something else. I am looking at using a pump so I can refill my main tank while driving, and yes I also thought about a very bright light that reminds me the pump is on...hehe. I can imagine it wouldn't be a pretty sight if forgotten :eek: So you don't have any problems using the vent hose with a pump? That Cummins electric pump does flow quite a bit of fuel.

Like I said, the only problem I have found is that when I tied into the vent hose, I could't fill my truck as fast with at the fuel pumps - it won't quite vent fast enough to be able to run the trigger wide open.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I called, ask for Josh, ed is new and didn't know. Josh knew exactly what I was talking about. If you go with theirs it is $19 plus a couple to ship

bmfx1

Jun 6, 2008
Yuba City, Ca
Like I said, the only problem I have found is that when I tied into the vent hose, I could't fill my truck as fast with at the fuel pumps - it won't quite vent fast enough to be able to run the trigger wide open.

Ah yes, that's what I was worried about. Thanks!

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Called down there and I forgot to ask about a new pump. Duh. Mines getting weak or something. Doesn't like to self prime or pump if its sat a few days and aux tank level is below 1/2