whats the deal with ML converters?

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I have not tried one but am wondering why everybody loves these so much? ive only ran suncoasts(1056,1054) and a local shops triple disk. ML are cheaper, thats for sure. whats the difference in build compared to say a suncoast? stators different?

just looking for unbiased opions. I may have to give a ML a try come this new year and see what all the buzz is about.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
I run the ml, seems to be a good converter, not as tight as the 1054 but it's tight, fun to use around town, even unlocked, then again I havn't ran any other converter. Feels good, very smooth lockup aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
The ml is a good all around converter. It is what I currently run and have nothing but good to say about it!!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Not much to add except that it just works NICE. Even my LB7 likes it ALOT! Turbo spool up is almost seemless even with a stock wastegated turbo and mild tuning. Stall speed is MUCH lower as well. The stock converter in my donor would easily flash to 2K+ when I power braked it, 1400-1500 and now my tires are breaking loose.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Not much to add except that it just works NICE. Even my LB7 likes it ALOT! Turbo spool up is almost seemless even with a stock wastegated turbo and mild tuning. Stall speed is MUCH lower as well. The stock converter in my donor would easily flash to 2K+ when I power braked it, 1400-1500 and now my tires are breaking loose.

I take it that is 2wd ?? I always figured the ML to be around a 2200 stall , it is looser than a 1056 and def looser than a 1054.

I really like the ML and use it on most builds due to it does so many things well , loose enough to give good spool characteristics, couples nice , locks good too and is a smooth lock up. I

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
I take it that is 2wd ?? I always figured the ML to be around a 2200 stall , it is looser than a 1056 and def looser than a 1054.

I really like the ML and use it on most builds due to it does so many things well , loose enough to give good spool characteristics, couples nice , locks good too and is a smooth lock up. I

do you ever wish it was tighter for fast spooling twins or triples??

i wish my converter was tighter, too loose for my twins its an old 1050 and i'm not sure what would be best, i loved the goerend i had in my 12v was tight and coupled nicely

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

i wish my converter was tighter, too loose for my twins its an old 1050 and i'm not sure what would be best, i loved the goerend i had in my 12v was tight and coupled nicely

Dave Georend has a real nice converter for a twin setup. It is similar to the Precision twin/Cummins stator converter.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
How is the ML for towing??

I really don't like the way my 1054 acts, When you drop it in gear you about have to stand on the brakes to get it to not move. When trying to get a real big load moving seems like you have to stand on the gas to get the load moving. It also feels lazy on the street to me as well as on the drag stip trying to launch it as hard as I can it really comes out of the hole soft:rolleyes:
I think I am gonna try a ML in my next truck

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Actualy you will probably get the same et's at the strip with a tight converter as compared to a looser one. McRat proved that back in '05 when Suncoast, Pat and myself teamed up and did the SC 1057. SC sent a very tight converter to try and it was no fun to drive on the street. Pat took Casper to the strip and ran within .02 off his best time. It just was no fun.
My preference is to have a converter mutiply tq off the line to spool the turbo and within 50 feet start coupling hard. After initial launch you no longer need tq multiplication as that is wasted engine rpm going out the exhaust.
Some people prefer a tight converter and who is to say they are wrong. I don't like them unless I'm driving a Dodge.

BLKLMM

<<< Slow Mamba
Jan 31, 2010
Oceanside
Actualy you will probably get the same et's at the strip with a tight converter as compared to a looser one. McRat proved that back in '05 when Suncoast, Pat and myself teamed up and did the SC 1057. SC sent a very tight converter to try and it was no fun to drive on the street. Pat took Casper to the strip and ran within .02 off his best time. It just was no fun.
My preference is to have a converter mutiply tq off the line to spool the turbo and within 50 feet start coupling hard. After initial launch you no longer need tq multiplication as that is wasted engine rpm going out the exhaust.
Some people prefer a tight converter and who is to say they are wrong. I don't like them unless I'm driving a Dodge.

:eek: But you wouldt do that Mike, right:confused::D

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

No I personally haven't , IMOP a tight converter is a band-aid for a converter that doesn't couple very well , if the stator is done right you don't need a tight converter.
I have never driven a Duramax i have liked a tight (under 2k) converter in , eve with the triples I currently have they spool very fast and very early , so you could get away with a tighter converter but you would simply be taking away spool up for no good reason.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Would you consider the 1057 a tight converter or a loose converter? Mine seems to launch good and couple good also, but in 4th and 5th gear before lockup if I lean into it rpms shoot up and the truck seems to sit still. 1st through 3rd it seems to couple well.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

The SC 1050 is an old converter and was great in its day. No one was making much more than 375/400 hp back then. As power increased the converter builders started lowering stall ala Cummins. We all found out soon enough that Cummins thinking was wrong for the V8 Duramax. Coupling was the answer.
Best description for coupling is the speedo needle will move with the tach needle but not quite as fast when you roll into the throttle. If you roll into the throttle at say 35 mph, and the tach needle jumps 500 rpm before the truck responds, your converter is too loose. My LML does this exact thing.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Would you consider the 1057 a tight converter or a loose converter? Mine seems to launch good and couple good also, but in 4th and 5th gear before lockup if I lean into it rpms shoot up and the truck seems to sit still. 1st through 3rd it seems to couple well.
The 1057 is on the tight side. What you feel is normal for that converter.
Pat had a little trouble spooling Casper at Las Vegas with a bigger turbo using the 1057 so I had Terry at PI build a converter that was a couple of hundred rpm looser but still coupled fast and we got the ML out of that experiment. It was only supposed to be a one off for Pat. Sometimes we get lucky.:D

Dec 2, 2006
TN
The SC 1050 is an old converter and was great in its day. No one was making much more than 375/400 hp back then. As power increased the converter builders started lowering stall ala Cummins. We all found out soon enough that Cummins thinking was wrong for the V8 Duramax. Coupling was the answer.
Best description for coupling is the speedo needle will move with the tach needle but not quite as fast when you roll into the throttle. If you roll into the throttle at say 35 mph, and the tach needle jumps 500 rpm before the truck responds, your converter is too loose. My LML does this exact thing.

I noticed the same with mine. A lot different than my 1056 I ran in my last truck.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I've had a ML in my lbz, an ATS in a lb7, and this one has a Ml in it. ATS was loser and lock up was alot harder and didnt couple as well. I use my trucks for work and tow equipment. Both my lbz and this lly tow awesome. Nice acceleration with easy building of boost. I have no ther exsperience with others but really have no need to as this one works great for everything so far.