what needs to be done to lbz to make reliable 550 hp

nc-12vpower

Mar 25, 2013
NC
like the title says, trying to get opinions on what way i need to go with motor to make it reliable. I pull stock class which is like work stock for most places. i have pulled/ owned 24v and 12v and a 6.4. Baught 2007 lbz a little over a month ago and trying to learn more about this.

mods i already put on truck- airdog II 200, traction bars, tie rod sleeves, efi tuned, 5in exhaust

in the process of installing manifolds, up pipes, egr delete, pcv reroute, downpipe, ybridge, race valve, steering stabilizer, and stage v suncoast

Info needed

thanks

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
like the title says, trying to get opinions on what way i need to go with motor to make it reliable. I pull stock class which is like work stock for most places. i have pulled/ owned 24v and 12v and a 6.4. Baught 2007 lbz a little over a month ago and trying to learn more about this.

mods i already put on truck- airdog II 200, traction bars, tie rod sleeves, efi tuned, 5in exhaust

in the process of installing manifolds, up pipes, egr delete, pcv reroute, downpipe, ybridge, race valve, steering stabilizer, and stage v suncoast

Info needed

thanks

should be at 550 with a max effort tune already.

The list you have is great, I would add (only to throw it out there) if you plan to stick with the stock charger, a billet wheel or Danville 68mm charger, some larger injectors(if the rules for your pulling class allow) and just for safe measures some arp 2000 head studs, but you shouldn't need them.

As said by rob there, with a max effort efi live tune on an LBZ, that should get you pretty damn close to 550 by itself (with appropriate supporting mods, which by the looks of it, you got that dialed already)

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
The list you have is great, I would add (only to throw it out there) if you plan to stick with the stock charger, a billet wheel or Danville 68mm charger, some larger injectors(if the rules for your pulling class allow) and just for safe measures some arp 2000 head studs, but you shouldn't need them.

As said by rob there, with a max effort efi live tune on an LBZ, that should get you pretty damn close to 550 by itself (with appropriate supporting mods, which by the looks of it, you got that dialed already)

yep studs and a aftermarket charger would be nice, studs will help it hold together for sure.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario

Info needed

thanks

A built tranny, aside what you have with a hateful tune should have you pretty close to there

DOOOD read lol j/k sounds like he has a trans

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Hey, nc12v-

Since you are in the process of a downpipe and pcv re route, think about welding a bung into the downpipe and routing the pcv to it, there are kits for this process that incorporate a valve as well, it eliminates the "drip" associated with the re route, and effectively eliminates any smell that you would incur from the fumes that come from the re route of the crank case as well

Just food for thought, I have done it this way, so have many others, and it is a nice and easy solution to the pcv re route issues :thumb:

You can find info about it here, there is at least one thread about it fer sure

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Isn't 550 right at the point where the LBZ pistons are known for cracking?

Mark B ran into the 700 range on his? And I think Matt ran almost 700 on a stock short block, think he has an lly/lbz?

As always, who/how it's tuned.....

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Yup, rob and sure a bunch of others can attest as well

Add me to the list as well, I haven't dynoed or anything, but I have had efi live built trans tuning and a ton of bolt ons for a year and goin strong, and I am sure it is producing 550-600whp

nc-12vpower

Mar 25, 2013
NC
stage v tranny is in the shop, waiting for me to put it in. the danville 68 is that a 2.5? bc we arent suppose to have a 2.6, suppose to be a stock appearing deal but there are fords with 66s and 38rs and even a dodge last year with a 72mm in stock class. i have thought about head studs for insurance reasons but some people have told me that it might cause other problems and that i dont need them, and even some 45% but i dont think i need injectors and a charger. So thats why id like to get more info about these motors.

thanks

nc-12vpower

Mar 25, 2013
NC
i called before but guy at that answer phone/sales person told me i need turbo and injectors to make 600. but im about to call now. thanks