What is efilive?

bradpeterson

Nov 8, 2009
Very new here and to diesel trucks. I ask about chipping and was told PPE and the best be EFILive. Are there others or only those too? Is EFILive as simply ask questions and then plug it in? The one mentioning said I can add 500HP? Is that on top of what I can do now? If i have to have someone make the changes who does this work?

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
There are several tuners and dealers for EFI LIVE on this site. In a nut shell EFI can modify and monitor and control anything your ECM/TCM controls. The amount of horsepower you can add is really endless with proper supporting mods. EFI and PPE are the two big power makers for the Duramax boys and girls. BUt they are 2 totally different animals, the PPE is a "Box Tuner" and EFI is a custom application tuner. When you buy an EFI unit you get software for you laptop and you modify your fuel and timing tables and anything else you want to play with. Most dealers alsop include a free tune or 2 with purchase.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
What do you mean using PPE? It is just a handheld programmer made to tune A truck. EFI can tune 220 different GM cars and trucks with one programmer. If you are lookin at a local guy I would see if anyone on here knows who it is before letting them play with your turck

bradpeterson

Nov 8, 2009
Don't know of any yet but have seen performance shops here and there. So PPE is limited to what it can connect too? So PPE is not the way to go. I here Edge and something called a Quad either of those good.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
It all depends on what you want your truck to do. PPE and EFI are the D-Max kings for the big power, and you can't go wrong with either IMO. The Quad Stealth is a very good safe cheap unit for smaller hp trucks. Edge and Bullydog are not good from my own personal experience with them and our LB7. a Fried ECM was the result from a BUlly Dog and the Edge unit decided to turn the truck off while cruiseing down the highway.

You need to decide what you and your truck are gonna be doing. I run EFI and only EFI in our LB7 and LBZ both are daily drivers and worked very hard, with a good tuner like Pat, Rob, Dustin and MANY others on this site you just can NOT go wrong with EFI. They can build you a tune of any size from 10 hp to piston cracking crank bustin 4 digit HP numbers

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
EFILive is a tool. It allows you to change engine and transmission tables individually and will record engine operation data. EFILive is used in conjunction with an IBM PC.

PPE Hot +2 is a handheld tuner that can also display engine operation data. It does not require a computer to use, or any tuning knowledge.

Which one is right for you depends on your goals for your truck. The PPE is the most intense of the handhelds, there is nothing more powerful out there. It is very simple to use, and has 10 power levels built in.

EFILive give you more flexibility and features than any handheld, and you can fine tune your engine combo for the absolute max performance, but at the expense of complexity. If you are not comfortable around a computer, or you want the simplest route, it is not for you. It's not incredibly difficult to use, but is a lot more difficult than a PPE.

bradpeterson

Nov 8, 2009
I think I would go EFILive. Computer users since the monchrome screen days. Gonna look around here for maybe a local guy to talk too. See what I can find around the Fox Lake, Il.

bradpeterson

Nov 8, 2009
Support this site. Is there a fee or something I missed? My thoughts on PPE is it is for default parts. If i change things out to bigger toys it would not work right.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
If you get efi live from a vendor here you are supporting this site. As they are the ones that pay the bills so to speak. And also the vendors here that sell efi live have some wicked tunes and also do the support through emails and phone conversations.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Support this site. Is there a fee or something I missed? My thoughts on PPE is it is for default parts. If i change things out to bigger toys it would not work right.

Yes, there is a fee you missed. To operate a web forum requires bandwidth fees, software license fees, and maintenance. There are not pop-up Toyota ads here, nor do we charge users like some other sites do.

Don't want to break your heart, but the PPE handheld has run 9 second ET's in competition. PPE developed Dmax turbo kits and dual fueler systems, so they did incorporate those features into the handhelds.

I run EFILive and it's the coolest tool in my toolbox. But your opinion that PPE cannot make serious power is not accurate. In fact, there are some popular "custom" tuners out there who do nothing but make small changes to a PPE tune and sell it as their own. PPE actually has a dyno and uses it constantly to develop their products.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Plus if you buy it from a supporting vender, you will always have support if needed. Not a good luck with life after purchase. You will buy with confidence. :thumb:

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Your saying its not worth it? Is is it a not so great product?

It is far and away the best product for the Dmax hotrodder. Been using it for 3 years.

Sorry, my attempt at sarcasm was missed. :hug:

And yes, buy it from any vendor on this site and they will take good care of you.

franki

Oct 16, 2014
Hi
I am new to diesel as well, I've heard that using chips or tuning your truck can put too much pressure on engine and eventually you will have to rebuild it. Is it true?
Do i have to upgrade anything else if efi live tuner installed?
I am going to haul over 26000 gwr.
Thank you

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
:welcome2:
As with anything, there's more than one way to skin this cat...

There are a few things you'll want to look into...
Adding a lift pump would be my first suggestion, wether you tune it or not.
If you're going to run a tune, plan on adding a 4" exhaust and possibly opening up your stock air intake a bit...and possibly adding a good 3" downpipe too...

Towing that much weight I'd want to have a boost and a pyrometer (EGT) gauges on board...

If you're running a truck equipped with a 6ap Allison I'd also suggest adding a TransGo Jr shift kit to your transmission valvebody.

Take a while to use the search function on forums database and read as much as you can to get acquainted with what you're stepping into. With the proper amount of research you'll make good decisions and won't be disappointed
:thumb:

franki

Oct 16, 2014
Awesome, thank you for prompt reply.
I will start with lift pump, air intake and exhaust while educating myself about efi live ;O)) Would like to learn how to use it before i install it.
Once efi live done how often you modify the settings? Or it really depends on where and when you are driving?
I am going to pull 4 cars hauler, trailer by itself is around 7200lbs.
Thank you for you help!