What every Post Ho needs

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Rob posted this on our sister site and :witch: had to have one. More work for Pat and Robert have to figure out how to install it :hug:

General Motors is making an Internet router available as a dealer-installed option on select vehicles throughout its Buick, Cadillac, GMC and Chevrolet lineup.

The device, from Autonet Mobile, of San Francisco, creates a Wi-Fi hotspot that extends 150 feet within and around the vehicle, allowing occupants to use portable devices to tap into the Web.

Initially, the Internet access will be available only in GM's vans, SUVs, crossovers and trucks -- vehicles most likely to be used by families.

The idea is that rear-seat passengers can use laptop computers, game players and other portable devices while people in the front seat can use the connection to stream Internet radio stations into the vehicle.

“Ninety percent of customers prefer surfing the Internet over just watching movies,” Sterling Pratz, CEO of Autonet Mobile, said in a statement. “Customers want the biggest brands the Internet has to offer in their car, such as Facebook, YouTube and FlyCast Internet radio.”

The mobile device also is intended to help small businesses stay connected.

Dealers will begin offering the router this month. It is also sold on a GM accessories site, www.gmextras.com. The retail price is $499. Internet access runs about $29 a month for 1 GB of service -- exceed 1 GB and service stops -- or you can plunk down for the 5 GB service. You can use it within 150 feet of your car but there's no encryption, so a bunch of other folks can use it as well. However, if you just want to get some e-mails and directions, research a few tunes on Songza, and, most importantly, get the kids to be quiet for a spell, it just might be worth it.

The Autonet device comes with a docking station, meaning it can be moved from one GM vehicle to another.

Autonet also supplies Internet routers for Chrysler, through its Mopar accessories unit, and Volkswagen.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
This is what it looks like. Let me know if they need help Kat. I know a thing or 3 about networks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• gm_autonet_mobiel.jpg
    gm_autonet_mobiel.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 247

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Sweet!!! I am going to have to install it in the motorhome... Help keep the me and the kids occupied while Pat drives :happy2:

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
I had a setup like that about 2 years ago :D

If that setup is $$$$, do this.

I know you guys have, or at least had a Verizon wireless card. I had a 3G router, Ill have to look up the brand, but basically the verizon card plugged into there, then it rebroadcast the signal to wherever over the wifi. I had it named SIKDMAX and password protected so wherever I was I could have signal. I then had an 802.11 amplifier installed inline to an external antenna on the roof...... :D :D

I was able to have internet on my computer at school wirelessly from my truck in the parking lot, when there no was wifi connection open at campus - Id always get such a WTF look :rofl:

The whole setup was about $300, besides the monthly fee for the verizon.

fishsmith

May 14, 2008
Monroe, LA
If you have a wireless cell card just buy a router for it. Ours is a cradle point, buy it at best buy. Same basic principle just have to use an inverter. Same thing sik has but different brand.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2009
why not just use the wireless card on your lab top and get sevice anywhere? this is what i do. I only see this being useful if you are using the interent for more then one computer, not to put the idea down. :thumb:

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
why not just use the wireless card on your lab top and get sevice anywhere? this is what i do. I only see this being useful if you are using the interent for more then one computer, not to put the idea down. :thumb:

There will be 3-4 computers etc using it. Kat's, Pat's, Allison's & Tommy's when parked. Probably at least 3 of those while they are going down the road.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I had a setup like that about 2 years ago :D

If that setup is $$$$, do this.

I know you guys have, or at least had a Verizon wireless card. I had a 3G router, Ill have to look up the brand, but basically the verizon card plugged into there, then it rebroadcast the signal to wherever over the wifi. I had it named SIKDMAX and password protected so wherever I was I could have signal. I then had an 802.11 amplifier installed inline to an external antenna on the roof...... :D :D

I was able to have internet on my computer at school wirelessly from my truck in the parking lot, when there no was wifi connection open at campus - Id always get such a WTF look :rofl:

The whole setup was about $300, besides the monthly fee for the verizon.

Will any router with a usb port work for this?

Saw one at officedepot or walmart or somewhere for $70ish

We have Sprint mobile broadband, plugs into a usb port and it would be nice to have the internet on more than one computer at a time sometimes