What do I need to do to update?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I hope you realize that if your tuner wants you to use the V8 software to read and flash, your tunes will most likely be locked.

To update, you need to go to EFILive's website and download the software. If you haven't done an update, the software will probably uninstall your old software before it installs the new stuff, but if not, you may have to uninstall it yourself.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Matt my LB7 and Colorado are still on V7... Like josh said V8 is able to lock your tunes, personally I would go a different route.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Yes, this is for Tony to do some Moonshine tuning on my truck at his current sale pricing. Not happy about having the tune locked but I need something to get the truck driving - Its just chillin at my house until I get a good tune in it.

$250 or whatever it was is worth a shot for DSP5 tune for me done by someone who knows WTF they are doing I think.

Im not worried about the software, I mean my actual V2 - firmware updates, etc. Is that stuff all pretty self explanatory as well?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Yes, this is for Tony to do some Moonshine tuning on my truck at his current sale pricing. Not happy about having the tune locked but I need something to get the truck driving - Its just chillin at my house until I get a good tune in it.

$250 or whatever it was is worth a shot for DSP5 tune for me done by someone who knows WTF they are doing I think.

Im not worried about the software, I mean my actual V2 - firmware updates, etc. Is that stuff all pretty self explanatory as well?

Matt on Tonys page for the sale there's a link to Efi live to the down load page. You have to down load the new software and update the firmware.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
OK, downloaded V8 onto a new computer.

Installed, worked.

Connected V2 via USB, launched EFILive Explorer and went to the firmware section, it recognized the V2 and said update book block them update firmware. I hit update boot block, it put it into deadpoll mode and wiped the boot block, now it is saying something about not being able to isntall the correct firmware 7.02.03 or something I think.

Now it just says unresponsive. Help! :eek:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
IIRC the firware comes with the V8 setup.files Matt I have never had to do what you what you did to update the firware?

05chevy

Jun 10, 2010
Yesterday i tried to update mine. I downloaded the v8 patch. Updated firmware. Went to load a tune said I had to update my v8. Long story short I had to re-download the complete v8 software again and it would work.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
I think I hosed it. :spit:

I went thru a bunch of menus "updating" the bootblock from the V2 keypad and I think it updated it to nothing.... the thing just hangs at the EFI LIVE spash screen usually, and if it will get thru past that then the computer still doesnt recognize it as being connected.

Is there a way I can put anything on a SD card and load it that way from the unit itself? I think I made a boo boo.... :eek:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Matt my LB7 and Colorado are still on V7... Like josh said V8 is able to lock your tunes, personally I would go a different route.

I agree with the above Matt

While not trying to stir up shit in an unrelated thread I made it clear to anyone who was/is interested in remote tuning that all files are permission restricted, it is in the thread for all, so anyone buying a tune file for LBZ/LMM knows it's not going to be accessible.

The reason I have always locked my ecm's and did not offer remote tunes emailed for the last seven years is because when you work for a long time to learn how the tables work and what to do and not to do it's not something you give away for anyone to copy and learn from, not saying anyone in this thread is not trust worthy, so don't get the wrong idea.

Permission restricted tune files/locked ecm's don't work for everyone, funny thing is you would be surprised how little changes I ever make after it is tuned initially........I have some guys still running a DSP2 ecm from 2006 and they have not seen any reason to change to a DSP5.

When you look around the forums there are a lot of "new tuners" and that is no coincidence that so many people are "tuners" now, I see more and more popping up daily and most are IMHO Copy/Paste tune builders.

As far as current prices I am offering in the Sale Thread, they are comparable to or better than most current offerings from my competition and are likely to be for a long time.

If a permission restricted file or locked ecm does not work for you then don't purchase one, there are other "tuners" who will email you a file that you can copy/script/resell/tinker with yourself.

;)

I apologize for putting my $.02 cents in

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
One of the mods over on their forum got me set, I had to reload an old Firmware and bootblock in a certain way because I messed them up earlier LOL.

I think Im all ready to rock and roll, need to go read my truck in a little bit.

Is there anything new cool I need to know with the V2? Haha... can I read the tune without a computer or something awesome like that?? Does the SD card do anything yet? Ive been out of this tuning thing for a while... :eek: