What AR should i buy

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Well my roommate went out and bought an AR so now i have to go buy one and make it better.

Here's the question i have

What would be a good gun to start with? I plan on playing with this thing for a while, upgrades etc. Whats a good cheap gun to start with if i plan on upgrading it?

Do i buy a 600-700 dollar gun and start or what is gained from starting with something that costs $1000?

this is the first AR purchase for me, so not looking to have the best shit right away, just something to toy with.

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
I have a rock river arms ar. I like it. Put about 1000 rounds through it with no problem. I think it cost me about 900. I dont remember off the top of my head

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
A Colt 6920 from your local Wal-Mart is a good start with a great gun. Although it's a little above the 1000.00 budget, it makes a great starting platform. From there it's a slippery slope as far as the checkbook is concerned...

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Definatly build one, it will be cheaper and you can do it the way you want. search Brownells or midway usa for parts. Also troll around some of the AR forums and you'll find plenty of info.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
I would do an lmt upper for sure. They have a onepiece design. Quick barrel change also. Once you get into, mich like our trucks budget goes out the window

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
^ those are good places to look. I bought most all my parts from Rainier Arms. Building from scratch is more fun and if you dont have to build it quick you can save up and use better parts! here is my first build no internals yet gotta get a tax stamp:D

Attachments

• jud ar 1.jpg
    jud ar 1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 66

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Don't be a sissy... Get a Noveske, LaRue, POF, LWRC or LMT. YHM makes good shit so does VLTOR and Spikes Tac. You can piece one together with good parts for a decent price. What cal you going with? 2.23, 5.56 or a manly 7.62? Don't be a sissy ass and get a 22lr either.

Cheaperthandirt.com
Palmettostatearmory.com
Armslist.com

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
most of the names thrown around can not be had for under $1000, i'm not saying they aren't top notch, but you pay to play.

My first AR was a Rock River for $1070 after tax and it's got plenty of upgrades is a great rifle. Building one is pretty easy, and AR's are like barbie dolls of assault rifles. You can find anything and everything for them...

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I'm aware all the names thrown around are right at, or above the $1000 area.

Who has suggestions on something a little more budget friendly

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
They're closer to $750 here. Those are the two I'm checking out.

Then there's this other thing at Academy. An AR15 made by Windham...?

The guy at academy said some people that worked for bushmaster left and started their own company along AR's. They go by Windham armory. It's really light and $650. It doesn't look like a bad gun, but how good could a $650 assault rifle be...

farmer/hunter

Jan 11, 2014
BCM, DD or Colt are the best, but if you are looking for something cheaper try RRA or Smith&Wesson stay away from bushmaster. You cant go wrong with anything has a lifetime warranty. :thumb:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I run modded dpms panthers and they are awsome 5.56, never had a jam with 15000 rounds through my old one. Dpms makes some awsome lowers and the receivers arent bad wih a little time and elbow grease. Just avoid the oracle they are cheap for a reason