VP Diesel race fuel question

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
My buddy called asking me questions about this stuff. Apparently he knows someone at Fonse Racing and they are working with VP and their diesel race fuel. I'm hearing cetane numbers of like 80+. They've been testing with modified engines, but nothing stock so far. His LMM has the typical deletes but stock trans, stock turbo, and stock fueling (save an EFI live set of tunes of course), so they want to use his truck to see what a "stock" truck will do with this fuel.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions or guiding questions or any experience using this stuff? Fonse wants me to take my V2 and datalog the truck while it's on their rollers. So, other than the usual PID's, is there anything else that I should be prepared to log specifically in this situation?

Thanks,
Wally

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
thanks. I did some searching and saw two of their Torq fuels, but not as high cetane number as this stuff is supposed to have, unless I missed it? I saw C57 and C68.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
replied as I was typing, lol. I come to a drag racing forum and get tree'd... no shit, hahaha.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Just called my buddy. He said this stuff is not out yet. It is ulsd and cetane of 80

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Vp torq fuel specs.

Sulfur <1ppm
Cetane 84.7
Gravity 49
Lubricity <500 microns
Wear scare 325

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I haven't tried this VP product but did run Syndiesel for a couple seasons. I thought it was a good product but super expensive after shipping and everything. http://www.goestores.com/storename/highfuelsn/dept/81049/ItemDetail-10397760.aspx

Well I ran out this season, so I ran pump diesel with some opti-lube boost added. Guess what, the truck picked up 2 mph on the track without changing anything. I tested again, same results. I'm now not sold on these high dollar racing fuels.

As for datalogging with a V2, I don't see you gaining any useable information without things like cylinder pressure sensors and very accurate egt sensors.

Before and after runs using the same tune with different fuels would be a good test and using the V2 to data log to review to make sure it is an apples to apples comparison of runs would be useful.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
We ran the haisely recipe this year until had engine problems that ended up being unrelated. I reduced its potency by 1/2 for remainder of season. Like Rob said, without the cyl psi testing and other testing/proof, might not be worth the risk.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Good info guys, thanks! I am not a drag racer or puller, etc., so this is foreign to me :) I'll tell my buddy to talk to Fonse Racing and set them straight on a few things.

Once again, thanks for the straight dope! This site is always big on answers and light on fluff :hug:

Wally

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
I have use VP, SYNDIESEL and Shell LM24 . Tuning is totally different on these fuels , just changing fuel will not gain, and more then likely lose you power .

With that said , Pump diesel is inconsistent. These fuels are the same every time. There is power in these fuels but you have to tune to it. I'm not a tuner so you will have to look to these guys that do that. I have seen power gains at higher rpms with these fuels they burn faster , and more complete.

The SynDiesel is oxygenated , meaning it carries oxygen with it . You have to add fuel and reduce timing. The fuel is thinner 2-2.5 cSt to 3.5 to 4 cSt for most pump diesels.
I know a lot of big diesel pullers buy this stuff by the pallet. I still use a additive package for lubricity http://stanadyneadditives.com/lubricity-formula/