Valley Charger

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm taking a 5min break at work to daydream :)

My LB7 has 210k on the clock. Never tuned until I bought it at 200k. I have a compound kit going in once I get the time, and the plan is to stay SBE unless/until something goes boom. Kit is stock/s475. 12mm and 65 overs are waiting to go in too. Trans is done and has a DK.

Leave the valley charger alone, have it rebuilt, or something else sexy like port/polish or hybrid it, lol? I had planned to leave it alone until a friend asked me why I wasn't taking that old charger off, with all of the new parts I'm throwing at the old girl, lol.

Meh? Opinions?

TNX!

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
What about other manufacturers (Mark, Stainless Diesel maybe Calibrated) see what is available for your app? I would definitely start with a new unit. Just my 2¢.

Reactions: N2BRK

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I’d probably rebuild it or throw a BD screamer or Ryan’s Diesel at it if it was me. I’ve heard they aren’t a fan of 30 pounds plus boost in stock form.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I wouldn't be so bold as to say that I'm planning to test the limits. That bar has been set quite high! I plan to generally keep it within reason and occasionally give the old two-pumps and an apology ;)

The cab will be off for HG and I'll do the compound kit around the same time... so with the valley charger sitting right out in the open, it would be the most convenient time if I was to do anything. I'm kinda thinking that I should leave it alone except maybe a port and polish, but if there's concern about it's age or something that I should do as it is going to be used as a compound (??? wastegate improvements or wheel change etc), then I'm doing my diligence now :)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
LB7 stock charger "limit" is 32lbs. Can go 33-34 under rare circumstances.

I'd port/polish the stocker with a larger wheel and mouthpiece and call it a day. That'd be the least expensive route.

Reactions: 2004LB7 and N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
to be clear - when you say 32lbs, you are talking in single form. Otherwise we are talking 32lbs over its atmosphere. eg. if the 475 is feeding it 14lbs of Boost then it could handle an output of 46lbs of Boost... or am I misunderstanding? Compounds are new to me :)

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
to be clear - when you say 32lbs, you are talking in single form. Otherwise we are talking 32lbs over its atmosphere. eg. if the 475 is feeding it 14lbs of Boost then it could handle an output of 46lbs of Boost... or am I misunderstanding? Compounds are new to me :)
Maybe try converting that to a compression ratio for a better understanding.

Stock charger can do a little over 3x. So 14.7psi atmosphere x3.2 = 47.04 psi - 14.7 to give you what the charger is doing which = 32.34 psi

So figure out what you are feeding the stock charger and figure out the compression ratio and see if you are still in the safe range. Of course it won't be a direct 1 to 1 crossover from compressing atmosphere to compressing hot post compressed air from another charger but can give you an idea of what you can do

To calculate the additional charger in the mix if it is doing as you say 14 psi.

14.7 psia + 14 psig from the 475 is 28.7 psia. Multiply that by 3 from the stock charger = 86.1 psia. Remove the atmosphere pressure of 14.7 for a psig of 71.4 psig

But that is pushing the stock charger pretty hard all the time so maybe calculate something closer to 2.5 and see what your ultimate pressure comes out to. Also, look at the map for the S475 for it's pressure ratio to see where you should be running it at and use those numbers

At least that's how I understand it

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Of course. It is operating in an environment where it's "atmosphere" isn't 14.7:1 :)

It is moving a much larger volume of air... or should I say air density? So limitations might be found in its wheels to be able to pass all of the combined air. But, this is just what's in my head as I go back to crunching numbers, and dream about life after 4/15! LOL I don't think that I need to go through the maps, since I'm doing a super-common combo and will rely on Mark to tune :) I think I'm reaching out to see if there's a decent ROI for making an extra effort at this point. If I was worried about making more power I would have gone to an S480.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Of course. It is operating in an environment where it's "atmosphere" isn't 14.7:1 :)

It is moving a much larger volume of air... or should I say air density? So limitations might be found in its wheels to be able to pass all of the combined air. But, this is just what's in my head as I go back to crunching numbers, and dream about life after 4/15! LOL I don't think that I need to go through the maps, since I'm doing a super-common combo and will rely on Mark to tune :) I think I'm reaching out to see if there's a decent ROI for making an extra effort at this point. If I was worried about making more power I would have gone to an S480.
I was only suggesting to look at the maps because that's where you'll find the ratios to calculate what boost you might see. They don't list pressure or PSI because it's not a factor until you reach the limits of the case and tubing. And it gets wonky trying to calculate it all based on pressure.

And as you said, it's not about wether it will work or not. As it's a proven setup that is not in question. It was more about leaning how it works and what to expect from each turbo

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I was talking single. Never been concerned with compound computations.

S475 pairs well with the stock IHI, though.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Personally I would port/polish or go to something like a stage 1 drop in. We've had good luck with JZ Mfg (same people who did Danville's chargers) and Fleece units. I do not have experience with RDS IHI units.

I've had a few failures from Dan's that shouldn't have failed which is exaggerated by some of their VGT issues (thinner turbines than some other builders).

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I have a IHI ported and polished with an 83 over it. In my opinion it works okay. I would really like the IHI to have a little more turbine flow. I was looking into the gen 2 RDS drop in supercore. Not 100% sure but does a 10 blade wheel flow more than the factory 11? The gen 2 dropped weight on the compressor wheel which I like, not sure if anyone else offers something similar. I think that would be a good upgrade that won’t sacrifice spool and it’s decently priced.

My next thought is a G35-1050 with an internal gate but not a cheap option.

Reactions: Bdsankey and N2BRK

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I think your/Josh's business deal may have soured your opinion which is 100% understandable. Their turbochargers have been absolutely rock solid for us on all models (01-16) as well as all their S400s.

We've used a few RDS with similar results as well.