LB7: Upper valve cover removal tool for LB7

Filadog

May 25, 2008
Central NC
Hope I can post the pics I took of my homemade valve cover removal device. I don't know if it is just mine because they have only been on for less than 200 miles, or what the hell, but my valve covers required some SERIOUS prying. Passenger side not so bad. It has alot more room to work with and both pry points are accessible but after nearly two hours of fighting with the driver's side, I gave up. All day I kept thinking about how I was going to beat this mother....... without boogering it up. Then it popped into my head and I tried it first thing when I got home. Worked like a charm. I think you need to get the geometry right on whatever combo of speed wrench and double box-end socket you use. Mine worked perfect because the box end fit over the tab with an angle just slightly under 90 degrees to the valve cover. That way I didn't even have to hold the box wrench while I pushed on the speedwrench. It was self actuating. Hope this helps someone else avoid the frustration I went through!

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    866.2 KB · Views: 285

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
i used this as well tonight but we didnt have a double box end wrench big enought to work so :D we took to regular wrenchs and used vise grip pliers to hold them togather i was laughting so hard while doing it i could hardly push hard enought to pop them off but it worked i did get pics i will post them later