Upgrade expectation

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
Alright guys getting a 4 inch from the downpipe back straight pipe. S and b intake. Fass 150 fuel pump. Efi live with 5 tunes.
What can I expect as far as power, mpgs etc etc do I need to worry about mytranny with these additions?
Truck going to be louder or about the same. It is bone stock before these upgrades.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
everything you need to know is dictated by the EFI Live 5 tunes you picked. i suggest you ask the tuner.

only one that can be commented on is the exhaust. of course it will be louder! lol.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
An EFILive tune on its own can fry a stock transmission. So ask your tuner which (if any) of the DSP5 positions are "stock trans safe".

Power on a stock trans is going to be about 50-100 HP over stock, depending on how lucky your tuner feels. With built trans tunes, you can get 200+ HP over stock with your mods. Really, your tuner should be able to tell you how much power each tune has.

If you keep your foot out of it and drive like normal, you might see 1-2 MPG more on the highway with the exhaust and intake, depending on if your truck had a cat or not to begin with. However, most people end up driving with a heavier foot after intake/exhaust because we like the sound, so don't expect any increase in mileage...

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
not doing the downpipe yet. i will do that later. we are getting ready to make a long trek possibly to nc with me pulling 9500 lbs. i am gong through southwest diesel performance and his turner is out of vegas i think. What are tranny upgrades i can do to protect my tranny for longer. and if there isn't really any protecting it how long do i have on it before it goes and i will need to get it rebuilt or just but a new one already built. also the allison tranny's are the exact same in a 2500 and 2500 hd right? only big difference is the suspension to haul more?

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
MPG hauling is going to be different story... i got 8 last trip i made to the keys but i was doing about 80 with my boat on the back loaded with dive gear :D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
not doing the downpipe yet. i will do that later. we are getting ready to make a long trek possibly to nc with me pulling 9500 lbs. i am gong through southwest diesel performance and his turner is out of vegas i think. What are tranny upgrades i can do to protect my tranny for longer. and if there isn't really any protecting it how long do i have on it before it goes and i will need to get it rebuilt or just but a new one already built. also the allison tranny's are the exact same in a 2500 and 2500 hd right? only big difference is the suspension to haul more?

everything you are looking for is in this forum. search feature works well.

2500 is completely different trans than the allison in your 2500hd. frame and many other parts are completely different as well. no one can give you a difinitive answer on making your trans last without knowing the tunes you will be running. even a transgo jr isnt a guarantee.

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
So I just pulled a boat 500 miles. Woke up this morning stayed the truck. Went about 2 miles and service engine light came on. Code was P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance. I've been reading on it and it seems like a lot of different fixes. Could this be due to the upgrades I just did? Everything in my signature is what I just had done.

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
Nope. No power loss. No funky idle. It is shifting weird. Could that be due to the new upgrades with the extra power and it learning the shift points all over. Fuel rail pressure is good to. I just used the edge cts to clear the code and it hasn't come back yet.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Sounds like the lift pump pressure may be a touch high. When that happens it can force the FPR open. It usually causes the truck to lope at idle but not always. Anyway to verify the pump pressure?

NRA223

May 20, 2015
Like stated above LB7/LLY fprs dont like more than about 10 psi from a lift pump. When i put my lift pump on I didn't know that and it was set at 15 psi and the fpr went out 3 days later. Mine loped bad at idle though so maybe yours is just unhappy and not shot like mine was.