LLY: Up pipe switch out, what all is involved?

ksstang

May 17, 2011
Lawrence, KS
I'm getting ready to do my EGR delete on my LLY, and curious what all is involved in changing out the up pipe? I got an extra up pipe that I've cut the EGR riser off and welded shut. Any tips or tricks that would make this job easier would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Do it with the truck warm. Much less likely to break a bolt. You'll need a good 12mm 12 point 1/2" socket, a breaker or long wrench and a buddy to help. If you dont have a lift, remove the wheels and lower the truck down on blocks. Take out the fender liner and you shoild be able to see the up pipe. The bolts on the manifold arent too bad, but the pedestal bolts are tough. It works well if you have a friend to place the wrench on the bolts from below while you turn the wrench from above.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
After removing the heat shields and downpipe, I removed the passenger fender liner and tire, and snuck a 18" breaker bar up there to break em loose. If it's really persistant, you could slide a cheater pipe over it.

ksstang

May 17, 2011
Lawrence, KS
do the heat shields really need to go back on? I've heard lots of guys say they've left them off after doing a job like this. Just curious.