Ughhhhh - Leaky Axle Seals!

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
WTF!!! Gear fluid all over my left rear wheel. Coming from the end of the axle under my centercap. Pulled it off and cranked the sh*t out of the bolts holding the end cap on which were all tight and cleaned it off the wheel and 30 miles later its back. Any idea WTF is going on? 4200 miles.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
If you've only got 4K miles, I'd let the stealer fix it. Its not that bad to fix though. I have no idea why it went, especially if your axles have never been pulled out.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
all 14 bolts leak; they always have and always will. Get used to it. Ive done 3 on my truck so far in 83k miles. :mad:

Its easy to replace it. You just need a spindle nut tool, something small to remove the circlip and then maybe a torque wrench if you want to be anal about setting the pre-load on the bearing. I just do it by feel though.

The seal is about 13 bucks IIRC. Advance Auto should have it, its not a dealer only item I dont think, because its universal to all Corporate/AAM axles. The only thing thats tricky/confusing is to remember to remove the WHOLE old axle seal, I pulled part of mine out the first time I did it and failed to notice the inner race was still in place. I stupidly kept trying to press the new seal on, and finally got frustrated and left it alone for a while. Came back and then saw my stupid mistake. :D

Maybe 1 hour job...its not bad at all.

Last edited:

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Realistically if I roll in to a dealership with the mods in my sig and try to get them to do this are they gonna bitch? Theres no way its linked to power, and theres no way Im ever going to try to get them to do any powertrain warranty on it due to anything of my own. I almost feel like saying that to them - look ive done stuff to void my warranty on it and i know and Im not gonna screw you guys over like that, I just want the other stuff (like axle seal, interior, etc) warrantied. Think it would fly?

Id like to establish a good relationship with a dealer cuz I have the extended 100k bumper to bumper on this thing too....

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Are you sure its not just the outer axle seal where it bolts to the hub? When you said the grease was under your center cap it could be coming from there. If so, thats a easy fix, just take out the bolts remove any old gasket material and put a small bead of silicone around it and put your axle back and replace the bolts, 10 minute fix...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'm curious as to why it leaked in the first place. Stuff doesn't happen for no reason. On a truck that new maybe there is a casting flaw or an axle issue.

Know what I mean??
I would try to get warranty. It's so new, they shouldn't question it.

Last edited:

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
... so......

Only thing I can think of is high speed - prolonged 120mph+. Could this have killed the seal? I cant see it - had no problems with my last one. Im just gonna pop the cap off and do the silicone if that will solve it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
wait so where is it leaking? from the axle seal or the hub/shaft flange? Is it from behind the wheel like where the backing plate is?

Thats not a cap on the end of the hub...thats the axle shaft............

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
ok nvmind thats different than what I was talking about. IIRC theres just a paper gasket sealing the axle shaft end to the hub. Use black RTV. Silicone wont last.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Does that paper gasket do much though? I accidentially ripped one of mine clear through when I swapped out my rear diff. I just made sure it was mated back up when I bolted the axle back in and it hasnt leaked at all yet?

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
if i remember correctly the paper gasket was around $4 but i cant remember exactly what it was. from the sounds of it i think your seal is leaking not the paper gasket.

Jared