TWINNED S480 Billet 96mm 1.32 & 1.15 vs Batmowheel 87mm 1.1

Tone72885

Feb 24, 2011
So played around with the twin set up some on my LBZ. I started out with a billet 7 blade hooked to a 96mm wheel and a 1.32 housing. Does this thing scream LOUD!!! I use my trucks for towing so I need them to perform efficiently while towing. I quickly realized this 1.32 housing was not the ticket for me. I watched the boost from the S480 in the RPMs I tow at (1700-1900), nothing, no boost at all. Frustrated, didn't think this could be possible, but it was. I checked everything, exhaust leaks, boost leaks... anything that was found was quickly corrected. Still no boost while towing. I can get it to move some air at high RPMs, but that wouldn't make any sense pulling a 40 foot trailer. I get that some will say the S480 is too big for what Im doing, others have said its good to have the larger opening for the stock charger to breathe through.... IDK. I decided to try a smaller turbine housing, picked up a 1.15 housing from High Tech Turbo. Still no boost in the towing RPMs, it did come on at a lower RPM than the 1.32 housing. and AGAIN, that 7 blade billet wheel SCREAMS all the time, even when not making any boost. Its kinda like a lot of bark and no bite, just making noise and being annoying. Now the really fun part, sick of messing with this, I picked up a S480 batmocharger from Bullseye power, polished race cover, 87mm turbine wheel 1.1 A/R, this thing does the trick for me, at least the towing part. It is much more quieter than the billet wheel when not making any boost, but when I want to hear from it, it will definitely let its presence be known. Its not so damn ear piercing screeching loud all the time like the billet wheel. When Im towing, i put my foot in the pedal and I have boost from it. Just all around, its much better for the towing. I don't know what it'll do for those who want to race, but for me and towing, it hits the spot more so than the 96mm turbine with either the 1.32 or 1.15 housings and its soon much more reserved on the noise.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
That's good information for most to hear. I'm sure most won't believe the difference but it's better for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Also what speed are you towing with what size tire? Rpms seem kinda low to me. Unless your cruising

Tone72885

Feb 24, 2011
I stayed with the T6 flange, didn't wanna change out more pieces and create different variables. The truck has 235/85/16 tires on it, its a 1 ton dually. Im running in 5th gear anywhere from 55-70 when Im really watching the big turbo is doing. Before I twinned it, the truck just had a built trans, exhaust and EFI, my main concern was the EGTs, I watched them like a hawk. I generally didn't like to creep too far in the 1300s and if it did, i'd back down or put it in 4th. When the truck is working, its towing the same route, same thing, same shape and weight about the same speed and it does it very often.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
your primary turbo generally wont make boost until you create enough drive pressure to make it past your small charger to drive it (vanes opening or wastegate opening or just create enough pressure after the stock turbo). running that primary turbo like you are will be great for that low RPM but it will choke up the stock turbo and you will loose power when you start running a big tune and try to make power in the upper RPMs. may not be an issue for you and what you do with the truck it sounds like. why is it you are striving to get the big turbo to make boost so low?

when im in it in mine with the trailer on the back, 5th gear, 2000rpm, 483 1.32a/r 96mm turbine, i can see total boost of 35-40psi while the 483 is making 15-20psi of that, right where it should be. cruise the 483 isnt making anything but the small turbo is making 10ish psi, i have to hit 15-18psi before the 483 makes 1-5psi which isnt hard to do.