Turbo sizing trouble

RedChevy2005

Mar 7, 2024
USA
So I have an lly that I’m going to put rods and pistons in and I’m planning on running a stock vvt with a 66mm front cover and a 10 blade turbine. I am going to compound it as it is going to be a tow/daily drive rig. I was thinking a borgwarner s400 80/97/1.15 as the atmosphere. Would this be the proper atmosphere for this setup? Any input is appreciated

jonassenventures

Dec 12, 2023
US
Have you played with BW's matchbot at all? It's taught me a lot about turbo maps and how they relate to performance.

I'm about to compound my 64mm version of your turbo, and math suggests that with a 97mm turbine you'll probably want an A/R around 1.32, or maybe higher, to avoid overspeed.

But that just my 2 cents, literally no actual experience with compounds yet

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
1.32 housing is pretty common, I doubt you'll have issues with a 1.15 unless you're fueling it hard. S480 compound has been done plenty of times, it'll work

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So I have an lly that I’m going to put rods and pistons in and I’m planning on running a stock vvt with a 66mm front cover and a 10 blade turbine. I am going to compound it as it is going to be a tow/daily drive rig. I was thinking a borgwarner s400 80/97/1.15 as the atmosphere. Would this be the proper atmosphere for this setup? Any input is appreciated
I am really hoping this is not a KB Diesel wheel/cover kit. The OEM turbine is not suitable for anything but an OEM compressor in my opinion, it doesn't have enough turbine flow to make use of a larger compressor.

What elevation do you live/drive at? How heavy are you towing? Do you have any ET/HP goals or just want a fun truck? What else is done to the truck (your signature isn't filled out so we have no clue what's done trans/injector/engine wise beyond what you listed)?

Personally I would run a 63.5-64mm in the valley (pick your flavor, we prefer JZ MFG/Fleece/RDS) and a S480/96/1.32 over top of it if you want to play or a 1.15 if it strictly will be a daily/tow rig. I have done many 63.5-64mm VGT and S480/96/1.32 setups with good tuning and been extremely happy with them as have my customers. This is a great setup for 750-800whp fairly efficiently and still drives damn near like OEM with some fuel upgrades (~100% and a 10mm or 12mm).

I would be more than happy to help set you up with a quality set of chargers if needed/desired or feel free to message me with any questions.

RedChevy2005

Mar 7, 2024
USA
I was planning on using a kb diesel front cover and a 10 blade turbine, it will mostly be daily/tow and I will have a ppe stage 5 and I’m not fully decided on injectors yet

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I was planning on using a kb diesel front cover and a 10 blade turbine, it will mostly be daily/tow and I will have a ppe stage 5 and I’m not fully decided on injectors yet
Personally I wouldn't run a 66mm compressor on a stock size turbine. It's like trying to fit a car through a door on the front of your home. The OEM sized turbine will absolutely be your limitation.

I know the super budget options like that are appealing but there is absolutely a reason why shops DO NOT recommend them. They're popular because they're cheap, not because they're good.

Reactions: Dozerboy