turbo question

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
so i bought a used lbz turbo for me to port n polish. it came with stuck vanes so when i got the turbo it was upright in the box. so i took it out and tore it down so i can do the billet wheel and clean and start porting the a/r housing.
so after a day or so i went back to the box and grabbed my turbo which i forgot i left it face down on the box. so i grabbed it and there was oil leaking out from the shaft.

so from what i know(which isnt much) if a turbo leaks oil out its shaft then its got bad seals. but what about if its not on the truck and its laid on its side. it also started leaking out the back by the exhaust wheel.

so my question is, do i need to completely rebuild this becuase it leaked or am i ok with going ahead and sticking it on my truck?

i tried searching but there is only threads about them leaking on the truck, not off of it.

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
Pretty common problem from shipping or setting it incorrectly. The seals are not designed to stop oil from going that way. It should be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
the guy told me the truck set at the dealership awhile. once i got it the vanes had a decent amount of rust.. they are all clean now and move easy.. my current turbo has stuck vane issues as well. maybe ill just order the rebuild kit.. just need it to last another 6 or so months till i can afford a new turbo after transmission