LBZ: Tuning out the MAF

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Curios if anyone has had any luck doing this. I have some import tuner buddies and they are all running MAF deleted tunes. They say its the only way to go.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You have the option to disable the MAF. I've never tried that but for awhile I had my maf rescaled high I so could blow smoke by revving it up. Kind of an oxymoron to "tune out the maf" imo. Thats the limiter, and without it you won't really have the ability to "tune it".

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
They tuned off of boost. My buddy Faisal ( has a 9 second Evo) said that the MAF always limited his tunes and now he holds 38 psi all the way to shift points. Use to drop to high 20s before shift points. I know this is on a gas import but he recommended that I ask to see if it has been done.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
They tuned off of boost. My buddy Faisal ( has a 9 second Evo) said that the MAF always limited his tunes and now he holds 38 psi all the way to shift points. Use to drop to high 20s before shift points. I know this is on a gas import but he recommended that I ask to see if it has been done.

Comparing what a MAF is used for on a diesel VS Gasser is not even relevant. If you MM3 command is what you want it to be during the full log then the MAF is not limiting you. and as stated before we can control the table so ............

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I hear ya Trent. Just wondering if its been done. How are those triplets coming along?

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I have some import tuner buddies and they are all running MAF deleted tunes. They say its the only way to go.

Thats because they are going to speed density... (and yes it's far superior to a maf setup. Even over a blow through maf setup. I have ran all of the above on my subaru- on stock ecu :D .. Speed Density is amazing)

But this doesn't apply to our trucks. They are still measuring airflow based on map pressure, rpm, temp etc. Only thing that really throws off a speed density tune are things that change the motor's VE (cams, turbo, etc. ....most any hard part change lol)

If you max out the maf table on our trucks you are essentially tuning it out of the picture from what I gather... it acts as a fueling limiter.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
all you will notice is that your fuel mileage will go to shit. you wont notice anything except maybe a little more turbo lag.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Lbz maf

I ran mine with no MAF with the built motor/big turbo. When the new motor goes in for the S/S race i'll bet it also runs with no MAF meter. Jeff

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
No MAF here, still can get 20mpg on a trip with no MAF and a welded front differential. I don't know if removing the MAF and maxing out the tables helps anything, I just did it so I didn't have to worry about installing it in my custom intake.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
There is zero gain from deleting if the truck is tuned properly , other than plumbing ease there is no other reason to do it.

Bingo, I agree with trent. Matter of fact if you are running a big turbo and big injectors using the maf tables can actually be quite useful in gaining good turbo response and a few other things.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Maybe look into that MAF adjustment knob on the fly that Duramaxtuner offers (I think there may be another one out there avail as well). Might help get things figured out as to what needs to be tweaked tuning wise.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Maf

If a guy knows how to drive with no maf I think it helps low end. You can't just stomp the pedal and expect it to build boost. Jeff

jcambron

Lost
Oct 2, 2009
Deer Park, TX
Proper tuning always centers around information.. why would delete one of the major sensors for how much actual air your engine is using? We don't have wide-band O2 sensors like gassers that you can judge effective tuning with! Or are you going by EGTs and Smoke?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I agree with everyone :rofl:
Trent: exactly, most people delete it because they don't want to mount the sensor - and we all know you can easily tune it to be inoperable without physically deleting it

Mike S: exactly, when tuning for someone with big injectors that doesn't know how to drive easy on the throttle you can use the MAF to limit injected fuel and light their turbo(s) faster and keep the smoke at whatever level you want. You can do somewhat of the same thing thing with TBIQ tables, but not as refined.

Jeff: exactly, deleting the MAF (or maxing the tables) gives your foot complete control over fuel. So if you are used to it you can even run around on a BIG (3.2") single with BIG (100% over) injectors and not smoke at all or be smokey as hell, spooling the charger however fast you want.