tug a truck

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Figured this would the best place to post. Local drag strip is having tug a truck contest. Anyone big into this. Any tips. I have street tires I thought I could jack up the caltracs for stiffness and a serious rake. Probably no hitch heighth rule or weigh ins maybe though. Ill have to look into it more and get details. I have sleeves and dont care about my tires lol. So this could be fun. Ive seen slow wheel speed help alot with this though, After the tires are hot.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Yeah might as well just hook your truck up to a tree and let er eat.

Highest hitch height possible and a lotta rake.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Put your tail lights on a toggle switch so you can use the brakes to your advantage without anyone knowing. Let him start spinning a little then it's over from there.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Its at gateway raceway in collinsville illinois.
I have watched alot of vids the seasoned guys smoke off all for the first round
then have hot tires to pull them the next two rounds. Being best 2 out of three. Ill have to call on the rules if there arent any ill make a hitch and rake it all I can.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
These prove nothing... The more powerful truck will not always win, whoever has the highest hitch point and furthest forward will win. You want to pull up on the other truck and have the weight of the other truck pull down on you as hard as possible. Tires are a big thing air them down drop your tbars and hold brake to build boost eez off of brake don't let her buck or hop you are gonna break.

bturner

Apr 28, 2013
Illinois
Well since you have a zf. You may just put it in low and let the clutch out in first. I have seen your vids so I'm sure you will be balls to the wall. Either way I can't wait to see

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
These prove nothing... The more powerful truck will not always win, whoever has the highest hitch point and furthest forward will win. You want to pull up on the other truck and have the weight of the other truck pull down on you as hard as possible. Tires are a big thing air them down drop your tbars and hold brake to build boost eez off of brake don't let her buck or hop you are gonna break.

I got a manual. I know they dont prove anything lol.
I was thinking 4 low 2nd gear spin them slow. If that dont work ill try something else. I just dont want to kill it. Shouldnt with that low of a gear. Hopfully some tranhys will get hot and limp then ill win. My clutch just gets stickyer hot.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Well since you have a zf. You may just put it in low and let the clutch out in first. I have seen your vids so I'm sure you will be balls to the wall. Either way I can't wait to see

First round probably just hoping im one of the few around here with street tires. Its slammed t bars caltracs can lift the back alot. My truck has the worste rake ive ever seen anyway lol I need to make my rear shackles.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I would be curious to know if there is a set hitch height they will follow?? I have done gooseneck to gooseneck before with my old 454 4spd vs. a cummins auto manuals do better for sure. Clutch will be sticky to a point, then it will glaze and slip slave will get its ass kicked also if you keep slipping slow.

Best of luck... Go win it for the dmax crowd

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I would be curious to know if there is a set hitch height they will follow?? I have done gooseneck to gooseneck before with my old 454 4spd vs. a cummins auto manuals do better for sure. Clutch will be sticky to a point, then it will glaze and slip slave will get its ass kicked also if you keep slipping slow.

Best of luck... Go win it for the dmax crowd

Shouldnt get extremely hot. In that low of a gear it should grab and go. But I dont know no clue ill try a few t case and gear setups see what It likes. Id love for a dmax to win I just hope my front dont hop is all. Bad shocks wont keep it from bucking
either. But the back should be stiff with the caltracs cranked up.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
can you block the rear solid? :D

There's a fairly big following of truck tugging here but they do it on dirt, not asphault. Only seen it done on asphalt on the YouTubes.

Either way, traction is obviously king. If you can run a tall hitch, that's best. And chain it back to the gooseneck ball. Too much rake will begin to lift the front so proceed with caution on that if you're hooking in 4wd.

I'd imagine sticky street tires would be best.

pullsanything

Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2013
Iowa
Hope you don't hook up to an F350.... those turds are a massive hog! It's like trying to pull a building. They are so frickin heavy.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
If its dirt ill have to borrow tires lol. But its at the local strip dont think theres much dirt there. Probably asphalt or concrete. Hope there all rednecks on big mud tires. Honestly there is tons of diesels where im from. The strips an hour away. I dont know what to expect really for a turnout. Definatly bringing a trailer and a friend. I am going to enter the bracket diesel truck races also. Doing my gaskets soon so ill try to break whats gonna break before its all apart.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
My truck is pretty light for a ccsb its 6900 with me in it and 3/4tank. I pulled a 13.4 out of it with a full tank and a zf.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
First off like it was said it proves nothing ! Stupid form of entertainment for drunk hillbilly's no offense to any drunk hillbilly's reading this! :woott:

IMO, I diss agree to the most powerful truck wins! The heavier you are the better the lower the gear the better and TRACTION WINS! Once you spin the tires it's over for you!