Trying to decide on new phone

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
So its time to upgrade my old, OLD, droid x!

Ive decided to go take a leap from verizon, and go with straight talk. For 45$ a month, unlimited everything, and no contract, how can this be beat!? My brother has an Iphone 5 running on ST, and he's loved it. Straight talk that is.

trying to decide between several phones, and would like some input. Heavily considering the "google" nexus 4, and also looking at an s3, or s4.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
S4 all the way. I love mine. I came over from an iPhone. The galaxy beats the crap out of it once you're used to the differences. I'm on AT&T though.

sent from a galaxy far far away

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My ol lady just got one of the waterproof shock proof dust proof Sony Xperia Z phones. Not sure which provider down there carries it but it's not bad for an LTE phone up here.
She smashed both sides of her Iphone and didn't want a giant bulky case. Iphones are the most prone to smashing screens according to the cell phone people.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
If Straight Talk has good coverage in your area, IDK how you can pass it up.

I had up iPhone up to version 3GS. Then instead of going 4S, I went to an android via Samsung Galaxy SGIII see what all the hype was about. Mistake! I will DEFINITELY be going back to the iPhone. I can't stand how this phone, at least on the AT&T network, handles texting. It bundles pictures and text into a fuggin slide show. :confused: Same deal for group texts. Jumbles the order of texts when firing right back and forth. Just drives me nuts. The camera and screen are superior though. At least compared to the iPhone 4S. iPhone 5 camera is on par with the SGIII but not the screen. I'll just get a pad/notebook for surfing instead of just using my phone like I do so often now. The screen is harder to read out in the sunlight on the SGIII also.

As for breaking the screens. IDK WTH people do with their phones but out of 4 iPhones and this SGIII, we've never busted a screen. I'm a dang fumble fingers too. my phones have crashed to the ground from waste height more than a couple times and never any issues. I never had an otter box on my iphones, just rubber cases. My wife has otter box on hers though and I have an otter box on my SGIII. Next phone will likely get a Lifesaver case or similar sealed case.

So, there, a gammet of opinions. :D

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I really like me iPhone 5, but have heard a lot of good stuff about the galaxy s4 also. I recently switch from t-mobile to AT&T and have a lot better coverage.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Still on my Iphone 4 since they were first released. Besides the small screen I have no complaints. However I would have not stayed with it if it weren't for jailbreaking and the LifeProof cases.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
The iPhone's do have a lock on mms (pictures, videos, group texts etc) but Androids are getting better. That is my only real complaint with my s4. The picture messaging is not as easy, and group messaging is a little slower. But the picture and screen quality are so much better than my girlfriend's iPhone 5. Granted we have the same megapixel camera. I took this picture with my s4. On my phone I can zoom in and read the tire size on the front right. Can't make it out on her 5

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376937530829.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376937530829.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 32

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
I have a iPhone 5 and my fiancé has an S4 I'm really impressed with what it offers compared to mine, I would def play with both before I made a decision

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
Thanks for the input guys. Ive been out of the loop for a minute :eek:! Anything at this point would probably be incredible compared to what I have now lol. This DX looks like its been used as a hockey puck!

That sedio obex case is ridiculous 02greysixer, I probably need something like that haha! I'm kinda rough on phones.

Would consider an Iphone, but my hands are far far too big to type on one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpOlZ9Z6q30

As far as straight talk, have yall checked them out? They use Verizon, AT&T, or T-mobile signal's. 45$ unlimited everything, no contract, just keeps sounding better and better. Currently, my unlimited Verizon plan has increased to around 90+ a month soo...

BTW, that is a sweet scout! That may be my white unicorn! :D

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Calloused sausage fingers are hard to use with any of the touch screen phones, I think we can all agree to that :rofl:
I hope the OBEX is as good as it looks. I am rough on them to, especially with my last iPhone 4 and this galaxy because they have the handy flashlight apps. I'm always using it when I'm working on stuff because I'm too lazy to go get a real flashlight.

And thanks about the Scout, that is me and my dad's baby. Restored the way IH should have made them in the first place :D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have an iPhone 4s, no complaints. I bought it used. Well, the only one is that there is no micro SD card slot. And I was stupid and only got the 16gig phone. I should have gotten the 32gb. Because with music and pictures/HD video, 16gb fills up very fast.

Also, 95% of my friends have iPhones so the iMessage is nice to have since it uses data instead of SMS.

my girlfriend has the iPhone 5, it has a slightly better camera, and the screen is slightly bigger, but IMO the iPhone 5 doesnt have enough cool extra features/capabilities over the 4s to outweigh the annoyance of having the new "Lightning" connector.

When the next iPhone comes out (september?) I might consider that. But IMO the 5 doesnt have enough features to make it really worth the extra cost over the 4s...

ben

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Are you planning on going past the typical instagram/snapchat BS?

Cause android is better IMO to mess with OS and what not, I have a old droid bionic and its been great. I know a couple people who went from android to apple and hate how childish the phones feel in terms on OS and what not.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
iPhone 5. I had the same decision between the galaxy s4 and the iPhone 5, and I loved my iPhone 4. Tried my cousins galaxy 4 and wasn't a fan...

iPhone is expected to release their iPhone 6 or 5s soon though, and there is a new update coming out that changed the whole look of my iPhone. I got it early through a developers account, absolutely changed the whole look and feel of my iPhone. Makes the iPhone iOS 6 look like shit compared to the iOS 7 which is the new update coming this fall.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Went back in time and got a new Blackberry.
Gotta' have real keys. :thumb:

how is it???

I used to be hardcore blackberry (I had a Bold 9650 for years) because I loved the physical keyboard and "throw it against the wall" durability. I never thought I would have anything but a blackberry...especially when the Q10 was announced, because it would actually have up-to-date hardware (compared to the painfully slow 9650), a touchscreen, and still have a physical keyboard..

But when they kept delaying and delaying the release of the new Q10, I was getting so frustrated and couldnt wait any longer so I finally said screw it and jumped ship on a whim to iPhone and havent really looked back.

and there's no native instagram and snapchat for blackberry OS either as far as I know.

ben

rms2012

Dec 7, 2011
Phoenix
Ben,

The Q10 is great for email & text.
For any other stuff - my Iphone has the apps & screen.

But, my flip phone (LG Revere) is still the best for making phone calls.
You can answer a call and end a call without looking at the phone - just snap it shut.
On the road a lot (173k on the LBZ) - flip phone for driving.
Ran the Iphone & flip phone together for two months - consolidated to the Q10 on July 1st.
With a bluetooth - it works pretty well.
Just wish I could afford to run all of them.

I just need an new crewcab & a driver. :thumb: