truck wont start after headgaskets

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
We're done doing the headgaskets on my truck, but it wont start.

Last night we found a leaking injector return hose, and somehow a broken bleed screw. I replaced those and no dice. I've checked for fuel in the line through the port near the alternator. I have a steady stream pouring out of the bleed screw if I pump.

Another thing. down at the water separator, when I unscrew the little bleeder completetly I dont have a much fuel dripping unless I`ve pressurize with the pump on top of the filter housing. Shouldnt the whole content of the filter flush out? Maybe it's not filling?

Truck sat for a month. I dont feel the fuel filter housing getting super firm.

Maybe something is preventing the injectors from firing?

I don`t have efi live or any scanning tool for that truck :s

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I disconnected the return line (small fuel line on driver side) and when I prime with the fuel filter pump, fuel returns and out back to the tank.

Normal, abnormal ? possible relief valve (we shimmed it)

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
How long have you been trying to start it? It might take a bit to get started especially after all fuel lines have been emptied. See if a buddy can prime it while you crank it. Another thing I do to get my truck started faster is floor it while cranking (not sure if it actually does work or not but is starts rather quick when i do that).

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
From what I can tell the lines have fuel in then.

I disconnected the relief valve tube, the leak back to tank is not from the relief valve but from something else.

I can try flooring it, But I doubt the injectors even fires if the minimun pressure isnt there.

Ill try to pump the primer while cranking with a friend.

I will not try ether, since I have no experience with that, since it`s got warning not to use it and I already know my problem is fuel related.

I`d really want to know everythign that can leak back to low pressure side so I can eliminate them. Im pretty sure that's not normal. I can't get a firm primer because of it.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
yeah. But I don't have an intake heater, truck is a LLY. I'm not using ether after putting that much money into it. Still wondering were fuel is bleeding to low side, pretty sure it's my problem

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
I'd find some way to confirm you're getting fuel and keeping it to the cp3. they don't like to autoprime especially if there's a lot of air in the way. Does it smoke at all while cranking???

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
no smoke, slight smell.

I cracked an injector line, front driver side, and bubbles got out. I can confirm the low pressure side gets plenty of fuel at the test port.

Do the injector even open if the fuel pressure is too low to start? I would think they need to open or the air will never get out of the high pressure side

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Cracked the injector lines open to let air out. Most line had air in them. Still no start.
When the lines were cracked, it wasnt shooting out dangerously out though...

Almost seems like an air lock before the cp3...

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
The way I bleed the fuel system is pump the primer until it gets hard. Then grab a rag and go to the fuel test port next to the alternator. I grab a screwdriver and press on the test port fittings and put the rag over it. I keep repeating the steps until I get a steady fuel stream out if it and no more air. They've always fired right up after that.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Yes the injectors fire even if there is no fuel in the lines. My lb7 fired right up after head gaskets and injectors and sitting up for 2.5 years.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
WolfLLY : A guy that repair those told me they don't fire until the require fuel pressure is reached. My oil doesnt smell of diesel.

Ill retry bleeding

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
There may be a minimal pressure actually, but you can still hit that pressure with air in the lines.... It's either air in the lines, or you have a monster leak, like one injector line unhooked or something. Idk man, my memory is so fuzzy from when I replaced mine. Wish I could help you out more.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
The injectors require around 1500psi just to open. If you had a way to log fuel rail pressure while cranking you can see if it's reaching at least that. Did you readjust the valves?

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I would try to find someone with a scanner to see what is going on, that will help you solve problems much quicker