Allison 5sp: truck won't move

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
I pulled into my driveway this morning in 4hi and i went to put it back in 2hi but my driveway is on a hill so i backed up a little to get it to release and when i tried to go back up the driveway after i felt the front end release the motor just reved up and it didn't move. The gear indicator light on the dash started flashing at me so i figured i just went from reverse to drive too fast so i put it in park and then back in drive and it felt like it wanted to go but then it felt like the tranny started slipping and the truck started to roll back. I shut the truck off a few times to see if that would help and it didn't. It does move in 4lo enough to get it up my driveway. The trans has been limped a few times and i plan on putting in a SCIV in april. Just wondering if the trans finally let go completly or if theres another problem? Thanks in advance for any input.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
It wasn't slipping or it would have limped.

How steep is your drive way? I would check your fluid level.

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
The driveway isn't that steep. Steep enough where most vehicles won't idle up it. Fluid level is good, smells a little burnt (im guessing from limping it) but not discolored. Normal drive holds the truck in the driveway until u give it a little throttle, then it creeps forward a little and then just lets go and rolls backwards. Reverse and everything in 4lo works normal though.

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
I've never changed it and the trucks got 111,000 mi on it. The trans was rebuilt by the dealership i bought it from. That was 20,000 miles ago. They found friction material in the fluid while fixing a leak i found after i test drove it. The trans worked perfect till i went overboard with efi live. One of my buddies had a Dodge with a 5.9 and his tranny did the same thing mine is doing and his clutch packs were shot.

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
My educated guess, Trans is shot. My buddie only had reverse when his went. C2's and 3's steels looked like soup dishes. Gave out with no warning either. Only other thing that comes to mind is NSBU switch.

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
Ill check out the NSBU and go from there. As soon as we get my dad's GTO done my trucks getting pulled in to build the trans anyways but it would be nice to be able to drive it until that happens. Thanks for the input.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
OK sorry clutches can get extremely fvcked up and burnt without limping the trans. Point being just because it didnt lock into third doesnt mean your clutches are kosher.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
My friend has an 02 and Ive been driving it while my truck is down. His NSBU is going out and the truck will periodically limp into 3rd. Always gets reverse, but sometimes the indicator light goes bye bye and truck will whack into third on start up.