Transmission options

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
If some machinist could fix the 4th gear problem with the 4L80E; it would blow away the duraflite. The 2/3 shift on the duraflite loses ET by 3/5 tenths. It's still faster than an Allison as far as shifts go. Gear ratio in the duraflite is much better and it doesn't require defuel. The 4L80 would blow it away, if 4th was fixed.

I know there is some very skilled machinists on this board.

What would be involved?

Since it hasn't already been done, I'm assuming it's not a simple process...but you know what assume means.

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Mike, Doesn't Pulling the shifter down into manual gear on the 4l80e put the coast clutch on and help hold the Sprag so it's not doing all the work? I've seen the spline strip in the OD planetary and another time the planet itself grenaded when we tested this trans in one of our shop race trucks. But i agree, the 4l80E is the shit

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
I have seen a manual VB setup on a 47RE with reverse shift pattern and two switches, one for converter lockup and one for OD, no PCS. Can this be shifted fast enough?

Any advantage to using an air shifter +PCS over just the PCS?

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
I have seen a manual VB setup on a 47RE with reverse shift pattern and two switches, one for converter lockup and one for OD, no PCS. Can this be shifted fast enough?

Any advantage to using an air shifter +PCS over just the PCS?

Manual vb is uses no solenoid from 1-3, so you can program the shift exactly when you want it through the PCS with the precision air shifter, OD and Lockup can be programmed through it as well. Don't get me wrong the E-618 full electric is bad as well, and you can get some pretty nasty solenoids for them but theres just something about having that shifter and hearing that noise that i love

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

Yes it can be shifted fast enough.

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
I'm with Mike In thinking the 4l80 is the cats meow. I love the gearing on it and am currently in the process of looking into swapping out the built 4l60 for an 80 in my ls rig. Mike what about the limited converter options currently available for the 80e?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm with Mike In thinking the 4l80 is the cats meow. I love the gearing on it and am currently in the process of looking into swapping out the built 4l60 for an 80 in my ls rig. Mike what about the limited converter options currently available for the 80e?

I don't think there are limited options on the 4L80E converter. Between Suncoast and Goerend, the only 2 companies I trust, you can get anything.

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
I've just been hearing of limited options for converters for the guys needing a large stall and still able to couple nice. Granted this is in an ls vehicle so the size could be the main setback