transmission fluid capacity

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
Im gonna change the spin on transmission filter on my dually. what is recomended and how much fluid will be needed? Also how often should the internal filter be changed?

Thanks in advance!!:chevy:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You'll lose approx one pint. The internal filter only needs to be changed at rebuild time. No other service required

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
i called the local auto parts store and after a half an hour and three diffrent clerks the finally tell me that there is a screw on filter on the transmission! (morons) any way there telling me that itll take 8 quarts of fluid to fill it back up. is this accurate or is it something else that they cant figure out

SGM

Sergeant Major
Nov 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Like Mackin said, you will lose about a pint of fluid when you remove the spin-on. Just fill the new 1 with fluid, clean the magnet, which looks like a flat washer, and reinstall the new filter.

Make sure you use an Allison spin-on.

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
shouldnt i just pull the drain plug and let all the fluid out or is it all right to just change the filter and top it off?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
No need to drain

Just get a small oil collection pan put it under the filter like your changing your motor oil. It will drip run out just a little and stop. As instructed clean magnet wet the o-ring refill with fresh fluid and reinstall.

Startup vehicle and check fluid and your off to the races!

DieselDaze

Midnight Maniac
Oct 26, 2008
Tulsa, OK
That is of course you don't intend to change the fluid.. But if your question is pointing towards a fluid change then the doors are open. Drain fluid and replace with same amount drained. Typically this will be about 2 to 2 1/2 gals of either Dextron III or a synthetic tranny fluid. The tranny itself holds around 20qrts but the rest is in the torque converter and upward in the tranny, changing the internal filter will allow another 4 qrts to drain through.

But as stated use an ALLISON SPIN ON >>>>> do a google for an allison dealer in your area...

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
That is of course you don't intend to change the fluid.. But if your question is pointing towards a fluid change then the doors are open. Drain fluid and replace with same amount drained. Typically this will be about 2 to 2 1/2 gals of either Dextron III or a synthetic tranny fluid. The tranny itself holds around 20qrts but the rest is in the torque converter and upward in the tranny, changing the internal filter will allow another 4 qrts to drain through.

But as stated use an ALLISON SPIN ON >>>>> do a google for an allison dealer in your area...

Well the truck is creeping up to 60k I bought the truck second hand and i dont now if its benn maintained or not so i figure if im gonna change the filter i might as well change out the fluid and be fresh.

so if im understanding correctly DONT use a generic spin on and go get an ALLISON from the dealer?

Dec 2, 2006
TN
Well the truck is creeping up to 60k I bought the truck second hand and i dont now if its benn maintained or not so i figure if im gonna change the filter i might as well change out the fluid and be fresh.

so if im understanding correctly DONT use a generic spin on and go get an ALLISON from the dealer?

Yes, your correct!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut

If you go to the dealer you will pay out the nose for it. I would recommend finding a Detroit Allison dealer in your area

http://www.allisontransmission.com/locator/mappoint/index.jsp?country=US

EatSoot

diesel idiot
Aug 12, 2008
Florida
Thanks for the link. the closeset dealer to me is an island over

I'd have the ally dealer send it to you! My Chev dealer here gets $40+ for that ally filter. The Ally dealer down in Riveria beach gets $6 for the same damn little red filter.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I just changed my spin on and some of my trans fluid a few weeks ago. The first thing I did was take my truck for a drive to heat everything up. Then I removed the drain plug on the trans pan. Once I was satisfied that as much as possible came out I put the drain plug back in. I then slid the drain pan under the spin on and removed that. I didn't have a small enough filter wrench, so I just used a large set of channel locks. After I got the filter off I cleaned the magnet and set it aside. I then prefilled a fresh spin on filter, stuck the magnet back on then screwed it back onto the trans. I just put it on hand tight. With the filter on and the drain plug back in I moved up top. I ended up using 2 US gallons of fluid to refill. I then took the old fluid and dumped it into the empty jugs, and ended up pretty close to what I dumped in. I started the truck to check the fluid and ended up between the hot and cold marks. Hope this helps. :)

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA

A Wix 57701 along with Amsoil Torque Drive is a fine combination also. Wix isn't a generic filter.