Transfer Case

RIGSTAR

Sep 28, 2010
Calgary
I kicked in 4 hi driving on the hiway last night, snowing hard. When i pressed the pedal down just a little i get this moaning sound coming from my transfer case but when i push it down further to driving speed it goes away. but once i let off, at the same spot it starts to moan, kind of like a sweet spot. Its a horrible sound, obviously i put it back into 2. It starts from about 40km/hr and higher.
i have 37'' toyos. Do i have to upgrade my transfer case b/c of the size of my tires? shitty having an 8'' lift on my rig and i cant even put it in 4.

comments....

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Probably the vibration issue that is stated when buying a lift kit if you don't buy the upgraded driveline stuff...I'll pull up some info about it for ya. I believe it's the front driveshaft causing the vibration as thr lift height throws off the stock front driveshaft angle off.

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
x2 it is probably the drive shaft angles

OR, something else to consider, your front and rear tires might be worn differently. It doesn't take much in terms of size difference to cause problems. If you haven't been rotating your tires regularly, this could be the problem.

RIGSTAR

Sep 28, 2010
Calgary
thanks boys, im going to go wtih the drive shaft. my tires are fairly new and have been rotated. tread wear is pretty even.
but why is it only at that "sweet spot" that it groans? not when the throttles pressed further?
thanks fellas