LB7: transfer case issues??

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
So its been snowing a bit here an I decided I would put it 4 an stop drifting around everywhere :D ,I was going bout 20-25 let of the gas pushed the button an it sounded like I was try to force a manual into a gear with no clutch! This has never happens to me I've been running atf in it for 200k+ miles now is that bad? Also it whine kinda like a rear end goin when you let off the gas.... so I took it out of 4 an got to the ship couple hours later thus is were it gets interesting, the drain an fill plugs had been stripped off on the heads I'm the only one I know of that has touched the t-case after a bit I got the fill plug out an it was full if mud! Mud and what seemed to be water....

So wtf could have happened I didnt have enough atf to drain it totally but I put some in still headed to get some more now, is there a way to flush the t-case? Or am I going to have to tear it apart? Knowing my luck probably have to tear it apart or replace it now that were only a week away from the drags :mad:

Last edited:

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
So its been snowing a bit here an I decided I would put it 4 an stop drifting around everywhere :D ,I was going bout 20-25 let of the gas pushed the button an it sounded like I was try to force a manual into a gear with no clutch! This has never happens to me I've been running atf in it for 200k+ miles now is that bad? Also it whine kinda like a rear end goin when you let off the gas.... so I took it out of 4 an got to the ship couple hours later thus is were it gets interesting, the drain an fill plugs had been stripped off on the heads I'm the only one I know of that has touched the t-case after a bit I got the fill plug out an it was full if mud! Mud and what seemed to be water....

So wtf could have happened I didnt have enough atf to drain it totally but I put some in still headed to get some more now, is there a way to flush the t-case? Or am I going to have to tear it apart? Knowing my luck probably have to tear it apart or replace it now that were only a week away from the drags :mad:

wow that sux ass sounds to me like a tearing apart cuz that t case has a pump in it and is not a splash system but im not a tcase expert im sure someone else that knows more will chime in good luck on that

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Do you think this was vandalism? It's just odd that both heads were broken off and there was a mix of mud and water in there. I'd tear it apart and take a look see. Espacially since the upcoming season is around the corner.

Nick

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Are you saying you've had the same fluid for 200k? No matter what it is if you have debris you should pull it apart and clean it. Put a pump rub plate in there while you're at it of you haven't. Fill with synthetic motor oil, 3 quarts through the sensor hole on top.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Maybe pump rub, hole in the case could be where you got the mud. As Jordan said I would pull the t-case & have look inside... New t-case is in the 1400 bucks range.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
No I flush it every time I do the trans just been using atf in it for 200k an the fluid should look new as I did the tranny 10-12k ago an the heads were not stripped off when i did it I dunno an no hole in it no leaks an the truck hasn't been on a dirt road or in water other then rain/snow in over a year:confused: so ill take some pics when I get it drained. An what kinda motor oil 5-30?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I have used 5w-30 Mobil 1 and its 0 degrees here right now. Personally I don't care for amsoil. If you are going to spend that coin on oil I'd use Schaeffers.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
You need a new transfer case Jake, hate to tell ya. If it is grinding when engaging with the vehicle in motion then the synchro is shot, and if the synchro is shot having not been used since last winter or whatever then there is something else very ugly going on in there. I swear, you have the best of luck. :thumb:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Why not rebuild the one you got? Lots cheaper replacing just what's broke rather than the whole thing...

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
well getting a new transfer case outta a junk yard with only 80000 miles on it plus the junkyard goes threw them an replaces anything that needs it an recases them so for 750 i guess its not horrible alot better then $1658 for a remaned one i did finnaly find a hole in my tcase the hole was hidden on top of one of the fins didnt notice it till i had it filled completly back up so it was pump rub that killed it :mad:

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
looks like i will be doing the pump rub fix on mine just incase when i pull my trans to have ben build it