Trans or T-case?

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Pulled away from a stop sign and boom. Grinding in all gears. Rolls in park, but grinds going into park. No forward or reverse gears, all the gears roll like it is in neutral. My guess was either t case or a shaft. Is there a way to tell one or the other? Any guesses?

This is in my 2004 lb7 W/200,000 miles.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Cool. Thanks mike. Is it OK to tow a short distance if I put the trans and t case in neutral?

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
My transfer case is toast, and so is my output shaft. The splines are ground down. I'm just going to do a new gm t case and building my trans since it will need to be pulled to replace the shaft anyway.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
My transfer case is toast, and so is my output shaft. The splines are ground down. I'm just going to do a new gm t case and building my trans since it will need to be pulled to replace the shaft anyway.

I'll give you a stock output shaft if you pay the shipping.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
My trans builder has some extras from other builds. Has anyone ever seen both the transfer case coupler and trans output shaft ground down? Seems weird to me.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
My trans builder has some extras from other builds. Has anyone ever seen both the transfer case coupler and trans output shaft ground down? Seems weird to me.

I have never seen this before, and I've broken output shafts. I've been inside plenty of Allisons and a number of transfer cases.