Allison 5sp: Trans Cooler lines

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
So I was under the ole' Chevy today and noticed that my 4x4 actuator was all oily. Seems that one of the trans cooler lines is leaking right above it. There is alot of corosion there. I was wondering What kind of fitting those are? Are they JIC? Maybe I could just make some lines at work with hydraulic lines? Or just buy new ones ad be done with it?

07.5 LMM

Jan 6, 2012
Reading, PA
they are some type of quick connect. there are kits that use JIC fittings Im sure you could source a nipple to adapt JIC to what you need. I just ordered the all season repair line today.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
they are some type of quick connect. there are kits that use JIC fittings Im sure you could source a nipple to adapt JIC to what you need. I just ordered the all season repair line today.
You sure can we have done it,a friend that makes the hose afor us found the fittings somewhere so they are out there.Im sure parker has the fittings.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
it should be at least 1/2" line. I believe Mike L. said those lines see 83psi max on a stock trans.

220 when cold, but normal working pressure when up to temp is around 80 PSI. Also be CERTAIN the hose you go with is good for at least 325 or higher. I used 250 degree hose and it took the liner out on the line going from the trans to the cooler. ALLISON says to add 80 degrees to the sump temp to have the temp of the line going to the cooler. So a 220 degree sump temp is going to be at least 300 at the line going to the cooler. I just redid mine in some RUSSEL line rated for 350 degrees as I got tired of replacing the regular AN hose. And 01-02 used an odd ball fitting size at the radiator, 1/2" pipe thread at the cooler out front, and -08 at the trans.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
I have yet to find a -10 an to 5/8 tube compression fitting that's rated for more then 55 psi. has anymone? or at that pressure is everything going to be flared or welded?

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Just need to revisit this again. Was under the truck this weekend and noticed some good oil coverage from the tranny. My crimp fittings are not leaking. I am having trouble with the metal pipe right next to the oil pan. There is a clip there that holds the lines in place and they are rusting through. Just a matter of time before they blow. They come out of the right side of the tranny and go to the cooler or the radiator? Sounds like I might have to park it for a few days until I get some stuff fixed.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
I have yet to find a -10 an to 5/8 tube compression fitting that's rated for more then 55 psi. has anymone? or at that pressure is everything going to be flared or welded?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5220k46/=vy7a7s

For Tube OD 5/8"
Pipe Size 1/2
Pressure Rating
Maximum psi @ 72° F 650
For Tube Wall Thickness 0.035"
Temperature Range –65° to 250° F
Tubing Use with copper, aluminum, firm and hard polypropylene, polyethylene, and nylon
Additional Specifications Straight Adapters, Tube-to-Female Threaded Pipe
Easy-Align
RoHS Compliant
Also known as flareless fittings, these brass fittings are the most commonly used compression tube fitting. They are UL listed for flammable liquids, and can also be used with air, water, oil, and drinking water (where noted).

Easy-align fittings have a sleeve built into the nut, so they are always positioned for correct installation. They do not have to be disassembled to install and can be used on plastic tubing without changing the sleeve material.

Connections: Compression or NPTF (Dryseal) threads, which are compatible with NPT threads.