Tow Mirror Wiring

wzschirnt

Jan 19, 2015
Hi, I've looked at the threads here for this info, but haven't seen it, so...

I've got a 2006 2500 LS Duramax. Plain old work truck w/rubber floor covering, manual locks/windows. It does the towing job just fine, but has the small towing mirrors on it.

I want to change the small towing mirrors over to the bigger ones that have turn signals in the glass, etc.

Question is - Is the wiring for turn signals, heat, etc included in the harness in the work truck if that option wasn't on the truck? In other words, did GM use the same harness as the LT and just leave the unused plugs just hanging there?

Or will it be fishing new wires to get this stuff to work? Mostly interested in the turn signals. And if I don't hook up the power adjust, can the mirror still be adjusted manually?

Thanks for any help.

walt z.

04LB7yz

Aug 16, 2013
Way North Minnesota
Does it currently have power mirrors? If it already has power mirrors it should be plug and play.

If not i don't believe the connections are there because of the lack there of the switch to operate them...

You can still put the bigger style tow mirrors on without hooking up the blinkers, power or heat. Those functions just wont work.

wzschirnt

Jan 19, 2015
Nope. No power mirror functions are there. I was going to get mirrors that had blinkers, etc and wanted to know if the harnesses had the connections just hanging there, so I didn't have to pull wires, etc. Sometimes manufacturers would use a single harness for different models and options to save assembly time and hoped this would be one of those cases.

Thanks for the reply

walt z.

04LB7yz

Aug 16, 2013
Way North Minnesota
I understand what your saying.

The mirrors plug into the window/mirror switch assembly. Then the harness from there goes back into the dash through the door grommet. I am assuming that you have crank windows and no power in your doors other than the speaker wires. So there would be no reason for the harness to exist in there.

Either way the door panels are cake to pull off, pull it off and take a look to see whats in there.

Worktruckstuff

Nov 30, 2016
I have an 03 work truck 2500, no wiring in the doors except for the speakers. I have manual locks and windows. I put tow mirrors on but had to get the full manual ones.

Passin Thru

Jan 27, 2017
Go Fish! They don't have wiring and are a PIA to run. It can be done. If you are determined get the whole harness and use one with PMs for a guide. I love having the heated mirror but it needs the timer on it or you end up leaving it on. Been there done that. My Peterbilt has a thermostat that turns them on below some temp because I've been running in fog and it came on. Best bet is to find a pair at ssalvage that do adjust and get the panel and all.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
They sell manual mirrors with the turn signal on the outside similar to the super duty. You can then tap into the signals in the fuse box harness I am 99% sure each side is on a separate fuse and will flash a test light when the corresponding turn signal is used . The factory wiring plugs directly into the window switches.