torquing torque converter bolts

slowlb7

Feb 10, 2014
des Moines iowa
Are there any hints or tips on how to fit a torque wrench in there to torque them to 44 lb ft? The only torque wrench i have that goes that high is a 1/2" and it was a pain to get a 3/8" wrench in there so not sure what to do.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
long 1/2 inch drive extention from the front of the motor along side the block and you can get a torque wrench on them that way. loctite also.

slowlb7

Feb 10, 2014
des Moines iowa
This maybe a dumb question but do you have to remove the fan shroud to do it that way. So you can reach down between the motor and radiator?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Well you could lay under neither and run long extensions as mentioned and try and get it from the front.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I always run a long extension from the front of the motor along the block too with a 1/2. I threw away the bottom shroud portion along time ago, but I'd say it would be in the way. You want the least amount of extensions as possible to keep the play outta it.

slowlb7

Feb 10, 2014
des Moines iowa
eaqc.jpg

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Are the alignment dowels in place on the back of the bellhousing? Are you sure the converter was properly seated into the pump gear?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I know you don't want to hear this, but if you ran it with the broken gear for even a very short time you need to disassemble everything and clean any filings or chunks out of everything very carefully.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Looking close at the picture I don't think you had the converter seated properly. I think you broke it when you tightened the bellhousing bolts down. Did you have trouble getting the bellhousing of the trans drawn up tight to the engine? Can you see any damage on the snout of the converter?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Looks like its broke 180* from eachother where the convertor slides into the gear. Could you not have have the tc aligned correctly and pulled the bellhousing to the dowel pins with the bellhousing bolts (and jamming the tc where ever it was into the gear) idk even know if that's possible due to how far the tc will stick out of the bellhousing when not in its sweet spot, but just a thought!

slowlb7

Feb 10, 2014
des Moines iowa
Im 95% sure i had the converter fully seat it had at lest 3 chicks the trany side up to the block then put the bolts. I have installed other stall converters before never had a iusse and i know not to pull it tight to the motor and i could turn the converter to line it up with the flywheel so it wasn't Jamd in there

slowlb7

Feb 10, 2014
des Moines iowa
Yea i don't wanna just throw another pump at it and try again i really wanna know why it broke so i don't brake another

I know you don't want to hear this, but if you ran it with the broken gear for even a very short time you need to disassemble everything and clean any filings or chunks out of everything very carefully.

slowlb7

Feb 10, 2014
des Moines iowa
Looks like its broke 180* from eachother where the convertor slides into the gear. Could you not have have the tc aligned correctly and pulled the bellhousing to the dowel pins with the bellhousing bolts (and jamming the tc where ever it was into the gear) idk even know if that's possible due to how far the tc will stick out of the bellhousing when not in its sweet spot, but just a thought!

It broke into 4 parts