Help: torquing converter bolts

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Take a shaft apply 20ft/lbs to one end, now measure the tq at the other end it WILL equal 20ft/lbs. The only way it will not is if the shaft is yielding or has broke.

A crows foot affects the geometry, thus throwing the tq reading off a little.

finally! someone that agrees with me, I was beginning to think I was crazy. :joker:

I was going to mention the crows foot wrench in my first post and how that DOES affect things, but I forgot.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
This reminds me of a disagreement I had with a guy a while back about torque transfer in locked and open differentials.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
nobody answered my (rhetorical) question about if a shorter driveshaft or axleshafts allow you to put more torque to the rear wheels. :)

(same concept, and the answer is still no, in my opinion)

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Take a shaft apply 20ft/lbs to one end, now measure the tq at the other end it WILL equal 20ft/lbs. The only way it will not is if the shaft is yielding or has broke.

A crows foot affects the geometry, thus throwing the tq reading off a little.

Shaft is yielding? Isn't that what I have been saying? I watch shafts bend every day under a lot of tq.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
nobody answered my (rhetorical) question about if a shorter driveshaft or axleshafts allow you to put more torque to the rear wheels. :)

(same concept, and the answer is still no, in my opinion)

Longer axle shaft will allow more tq before breaking. Ever notice that the drive axle on a normaly single wheel drive diff ( no limited slip ) is always longer? The longer one always breaks first. Why do you think that happens Ben? Leverage. If you want to break something sooner, make it longer.
In a case like this; the axle saw more tq than the diff. Put a hardened axle in it and the diff will break next. Why? Cause it saw the actual tq.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Can you be serious or are you going to continue this crap? You hold the answer with your next post.

You said for ever 1" of extension you lose 2 lbs torque.

So assuming this statement was true if you were torquing a 1/4" grade 5 bolt.
And you wanted to torque it to 15 ft lbs with a 20" extension you should set the torque wrench to 55 ft lbs to compensate for the length of the extension.

Something tells me the bolt is doomed......

Yes Mike, I am serious as a heart attack that you are flat out wrong in your statement. And now you are trying to back peddle out of it.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Longer axle shaft will allow more tq before breaking. Ever notice that the drive axle on a normaly single wheel drive diff ( no limited slip ) is always longer? The longer one always breaks first. Why do you think that happens Ben? Leverage. If you want to break something sooner, make it longer.
In a case like this; the axle saw more tq than the diff. Put a hardened axle in it and the diff will break next. Why? Cause it saw the actual tq.

Ben and others have already covered this. If the extension does not break, then 100% of the torque will be transferred to the fastener.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You said for ever 1" of extension you lose 2 lbs torque.

So assuming this statement was true if you were torquing a 1/4" grade 5 bolt.
And you wanted to torque it to 15 ft lbs with a 20" extension you should set the torque wrench to 55 ft lbs to compensate for the length of the extension.

Something tells me the bolt is doomed......

Yes Mike, I am serious as a heart attack that you are flat out wrong in your statement. And now you are trying to back peddle out of it.

No not back peddling. We are talking about converter bolts and a long extension or something a little bigger. 1/4 inch bolts are tq'd to in lb's. Try and help here instead of showing your hate. 15 ft lb's will probably break the 1/4 bolt and you know it.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Nope. Mike L. is correct.

Next time you buy a quality torque wrench, read the instructions.

Don't use extensions if getting the torque exactly right is important. Me? I just tighten them til they strip or snap, then back it off a hair.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There are several things that can effect torque wrench readings. Drive extensions is just one of them.

Store click (micrometer) style wrenches at 20% of their scale (edited). When adjusting downward, first go to zero, then back up to the number. Exercise the wrench a couple times (go to a fixed bolt and click it a couple times). Pull steady, with your hand in the middle of the grip. Don't use crow's feet. Sneak up on finish torque. Calibration never hurts either. Wrench and force should be 90 deg to the bolt. Etc.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
This is good! Somebody needs to break out the free body diagrams to end this. My vote is extension length does not matter assuming it is sufficiently rigid to not break.

To disprove the 2lbs per inch (even if you meant foot) theory do this:
Set the torque wrench to 24 lb-ft and use a 12 inch (or foot if that what you meant) extension. Viola...... 0 torque.
Doubt it. ;)

The instructions I've seen with torque wrenches and "extensions" have to do with adapters where the adapter places the axis of the bolt so it is not in line with the square drive of the wrench... increases the moment arm.

Warning....I may be way off on this, but doesn't a torque stick work with an impact because it is essentially a spring. Springs exert force that depends on their displacement and spring constant. Keep the constant the same and the displacement the same (impact) it works. Take a torque stick and give it to a 900lb. gorilla and it doesn't work.

Is that right?

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Someone go tq a bolt with and without a 2' extention and see what happens

I can't understand how tq would be lost, energy yes. Kenitic energy is being stored in the extention but I would think you will see the same tq at the other end. But something tells me Mike L. is right. I dont have a tq wrench here right now so I can't try.:baby:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Nope. Mike L. is correct.

Next time you buy a quality torque wrench, read the instructions.

Don't use extensions if getting the torque exactly right is important. Me? I just tighten them til they strip or snap, then back it off a hair.

no pat you are wrong.

I know what you are talking about in the torque wrench instructions; and they are not being clear. What they [people who write the torque wrench instructions] mean by extension is an ADAPTER; an adapter is different than an [straight] extension like we are talking about. An ADAPTER (like a crows foot thing) will change the torque reading. An extension (like we think of an extension as) WONT.

I dont know why we are still arguing. This is driving me insane; like the people who couldnt get it thru their heads that if you put an airplan on a reverse-moving conveyer belt, the damn thing will still be able to take off. :D The people who have posted in this thread who are REAL engineers (wolford, etc) all agree with me.

and when I say REAL engineer, I mean someone who actually has a piece of paper that says "so and so graduated from so and so university with a 4 year degree in mech engineering". NOT someone who is an armchair engineer/engineer by trade/someone who has read some books/someone who knows someone who knows someone who is an engineer, and other 'fake' engineers. :)

ben

Last edited: