Torque Tuning

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Whats the method behind de-torquing these trucks in the tuning. I understand you want to make the power at a higher rpm say 3250 or higher on a stock bottom end truck. How is this achieved?

Is it simply by adjusting the pedal position table to not give full torque until the desired rpm, and changes in the timing table? Or am I missing the bus on this one. I havent had my truck on the dyno yet to see what the numbers are.

Thanks for any info guys.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Just thinking out loud but i believe you could keep boost lower down low and ramp it up when you want to make the power..

Naturally it wont build full boost until it is fueled the whole way. Fueling would be cut in the the lower rpms to achieve less torque until it hits high rpms. You are thinking right though. Thats the way i perceive it happening anyhow, but ive been wrong many many times before.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I'm no expert by any means but I believe they pull fuel out on the bottom end. I talked to Dustin at DA once about this. He said when doing this the truck isn't as responsive or as "fun" to drive.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
There are a lot of ways you can do it. Pulse width is the easiest. Like said above, it won't be as fun to drive. It will be sluggish until desired rpm. I've got a tune on my truck that gives it 10% more fuel down low and it is fun to drive on around town. Very spunky.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Torque tables, main injection table, timing tables all have to be adjusted. My truck has been detorqued for 6-7 years and it is still alive. Go and log your truck and find out what areas in your tune are related to DD operation. IIRC fuel doesn't come on hard until 2500rpm

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Thanks guys. No worries about being sluggish as this is only in my race tune. I'll work on it and report back.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Torque tables, main injection table, timing tables all have to be adjusted. My truck has been detorqued for 6-7 years and it is still alive. Go and log your truck and find out what areas in your tune are related to DD operation. IIRC fuel doesn't come on hard until 2500rpm

We both have a 75mm, and they don't make dick for power below 2500rpm :D:rofl:

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
with a 1.10 housing
i remember u saying that u have a .90 housing and u seem to hate your 1.10 more than a red headed step child why don't u change it out because i run a 475 83 90 and love it also what is the stall of your converter and do u have tcm tuning

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Because I wanted a loose housing for nitrous. Drive pressure becomes a serious issue with a tight housing. I have a MLG-K converter, one of the newest big single converters out there, and absolutely love it. Maybe im asking too much out of the setup, I dunno. Ive given up trying to get it to spool easier and just deal with it. My trans tune is 100% stock, other than raised RPM shift points.

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
try this brian now im no expert and i know you have had 3 times the dmaxs i had but i would put the 90 ar housing back and call up about putting a gated pedestal on and what rpm can you stall your mlg-k