LML Thermostat replacement

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I've started getting the P0128 code and have been noticing the coolant temps not coming up so I've read its the thermostat's. I've seen videos on the early model trucks but nothing on the LML. I looked and it looks different than the early models. Is there anything I should know before I start this?

How much coolant will I need to refill the radiator?

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
Although it's not the same, I just did this to my LBZ this past Sunday. All you need is the two thermostats and right around 3 full gallons of Dexcool thats premixed. Make sure you have tools that can unclip harnesses and such. It's not hard to do, but there is a fair amount of stuff that has to be removed and put aside. Although most of the videos don't show it, unbolting the coolant crossover tube will help quite a bit. Be sure to drain the radiator fully before cracking open the thermostat housing and make sure a rag is stuffed into the oil filler hole to catch any stray antifreeze or dirt. Taking my time, it took me about 2.5 hours...

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Although it's not the same, I just did this to my LBZ this past Sunday. All you need is the two thermostats and right around 3 full gallons of Dexcool thats premixed. Make sure you have tools that can unclip harnesses and such. It's not hard to do, but there is a fair amount of stuff that has to be removed and put aside. Although most of the videos don't show it, unbolting the coolant crossover tube will help quite a bit. Be sure to drain the radiator fully before cracking open the thermostat housing and make sure a rag is stuffed into the oil filler hole to catch any stray antifreeze or dirt. Taking my time, it took me about 2.5 hours...

Thanks for the info. Will there be an o-rings that need replaced? What it that mounted on top of the thermostat housing?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

It’s pretty much the same. You take the stuff off the top of the thermo stat housing. The oil tube out and the 4 bolts out of the housing itself. Lml is a touch more difficult but not that much really.

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks for the info. Will there be an o-rings that need replaced? What it that mounted on top of the thermostat housing?

You could replace the o rings for the housing and the filler tube if it you want. The filler tube is easy to replace. I didn't because mine was fine. The thermostat housing has an o ring where it slides into the crossover tube. The LBZ is pretty tough to remove, so I left it as is without disturbing it too much. I have zero leaks after the install. I think that if you put a dab of grease on the filler tube gasket and gently slide it back in, you'll be in good shape.