Temp removal of EFI Live

02duramax

Nov 9, 2008
Yreka Ca
Just bought a 03 dmax and it has a 5 position selector near steering wheel, and a wire going from there to a black box like the install of efi live. My question is all these switch positions are shifting so hard at low speeds and it does great on the highway. at 75 mph my rpms are around 2300, now from my previous dmax's that is a bit high in rpm. I want to uninstall efi live until i can get some better tunes..please explain how to remove temp.
questions:
1.. what is normal rpm for 70 to 75 mph?
2. Does efi live have quick shifts?
3. does selector go from lft to right starting at 5 first? cause the left 1st position is my roughest one.

mods to truck: PPE lift pump, air raid intake, Mbrp exhaust with cat.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
1. My truck runs about 2100 rpm at 70mph.
2. EFI can tune the transmission but I don`t believe your shifts should change when you switch your DSP.
3. It should.

Smokin LB7

Jul 25, 2008
For the switch, it depends on how it is set up in EFI Live. It can go either direct 1-5 or 5-1.

You can just flash in your stock tune if you have EFI Live. If not, you will probably have to go to the dealer to flash your stock tune in for you. But having the switch hooked up will not affect anything if you have your stock tune loaded.

I think with 35's I usually run around 2000 rpm at 75

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Where is this "black box" that the wires run to? If the black box isn't the ECM (the ECM is in the engine compartment mounted below the driver's side battery), then it isn't EFILive.

02duramax

Nov 9, 2008
Yreka Ca
in 1 position the shifts are way strange, like super fast and no smoke. i dont know really, i should just wait till i can get someone to tune up the dsp5. dont really want trans problems and i have no boost or egt gauges at moment. thanks for the help.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You can take it to a dealership and have them reflash it back to stock for you. Other than that, you will need EFILive to take it off.