Stuck vanes go bigger or no?

mamu

Mar 14, 2010
arkansas
I just bought a lbz with 254k miles on it. I started a thread about the p003a code and had a little help. But I feel that my vanes are stuck. Everyone I talk to seems to think so too. So I'm going to pull my turbo and clean it up. I wanted to but a batmo in it. Then I started reading about them being a waste of money. I'm going to have this one off, so I want to help it out a little. But I don't wana spend the cash on a complete turbo. Would you guys put a billet/batmo in it? Or leave it stock and just wait till the time comes to go bigger.

Truck is stock with 5" exhaust and ppe programmer.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
If you plan on putting a bigger charger on the truck in the near future I personally wouldn't waste the money. No sense of wasting the money on the stock charger if your not sticking with it. How long do you think till you get a bigger charger?

mamu

Mar 14, 2010
arkansas
That's the thing I'm not sure about. I've got a 3/4 ton truck that I think I'm Guna turn into puller/racer to play with. So this dually will be for tow and some street usage. It won't really get anything else until it needs it (trans, studs, hg replaced) I plan to put a lift pump on it but I just want it to run like its suppose to.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Send a PM to yellowchevy. He can give your stock turbo a little kick in the ass to get a few more ponies out of it for a very reasonable fee.

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
I just got done porten and polishing my lbz turbo and I'm gonna put a $200 billet wheel in it for now.. I def. Would get ahold of yellowchevy and see what he can do.. I will next time because it took me awhile to get mine done and its no where near as good as his..

mamu

Mar 14, 2010
arkansas
I want this rig to run pretty good. But I don't wana throw that much into it and put a whole new turbo just yet. Only had it 2 weeks so it's still up in the air about its length of ownership. I'd like to keep it a while. But I'd like to not be makin payments and have the truck tore apart at the same time.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Let yellowchevy work over your stock turbo, then later down the road throw an s480 under it :thumb:

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I just bought a lbz with 254k miles on it. I started a thread about the p003a code and had a little help. But I feel that my vanes are stuck. Everyone I talk to seems to think so too. So I'm going to pull my turbo and clean it up. I wanted to but a batmo in it. Then I started reading about them being a waste of money. I'm going to have this one off, so I want to help it out a little. But I don't wana spend the cash on a complete turbo. Would you guys put a billet/batmo in it? Or leave it stock and just wait till the time comes to go bigger.

Truck is stock with 5" exhaust and ppe programmer.

Does it have any other turbo related codes? I had the same code and a p0047 as well on my LMM and it was a loose wire in the control circuit for the vein position solenoid.

mamu

Mar 14, 2010
arkansas
I think it had the p2653 or something like that. But I put a different sensor in it an now it only shows the p003a. I used Efi to try to command it. It shows 40% all the time an will only go to 44%. Doesn't change sound or anything. Elevated idle sounds like a cummins with that deep roar idled up. I just assumed it was the vanes. I don't guess there's a way to break them loose from the outside is there?

mamu

Mar 14, 2010
arkansas
And is it possible to just bust the exhaust housing loose, pull the compressor housing and center section out of the truck? Leaving the exhaust housing mounted to the truck? I've had a ton of 6.0 stroke turbos apart. But they are slight easier to get off.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Garrett 4094 VVT can be had for 1711.00 to your door. They are a nice bump in power but keep the turbo brake and DD ability. I've had one on my truck for 3 years now, the tuning at first was smokey and hot, not to mention a little disappointing, but Rob really has it figured out now. He built an LMM with a 4094vvt to DD himself. If your looking for a mild upgrade this is the way to go...