Stuck in 1st gear..

Tano

Jun 8, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
I've got an 01 lb7 CCSB 4x4
Yesterday my truck ran fine. Parked in the driveway then this morning I get to goto work and it won't shift out of first. This morning we got a cold spell so it's about 50 degrees this morning. I checked tranny fluid and its full. What should I do? :confused:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
have you limped the stock trans a lot? i just went through this with my built trans, my internal filter was clogged from so much clutch material. you like me may be due for a trans build

Tano

Jun 8, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
I've never limped it that I know of. Anytime I've raced or got on it it has shifted nicely. I don't understand how it all of a sudden is not shifting.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
neutral safety backup switch... i thought my issue was that so i changed it out.

Tano

Jun 8, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
swxo2g.jpg

Sad sight :(

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Its located on the driverside on the transmission . The shift cable is connected to it look and see what color the switch is. If I recall you want a black one that is the newest not to say that the black ones go bad over time from moisture.

Or is it tan? Man I cannot recall which one is the newest. :D

Sorry somebody will correct me

Tano

Jun 8, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Its located on the driverside on the transmission . The shift cable is connected to it look and see what color the switch is. If I recall you want a black one that is the newest not to say that the black ones go bad over time from moisture.

No probs, thanks for the info.
I just dropped it off at the Trans shop in town that everyone says is the best.
Good thing is the company I work for is taking care of it :D

I'll keep yall updated on what they say

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

tan is the newest one :D

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
The nsbu is a quick change.

Mine was damaged by road debris (tree branch/small log...:D) and wouldn't shift out of first. After driving to Napa at about 2 and a half grand in first gear, I found the little arm wasn't making contact with that swath inside.

That was the most expensive nss I've ever purchased. I got one for the 1/2 ton last year for like 12 bones...IIRC, the Allison one was about $100.

Tano

Jun 8, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
So I'm guessing because there was no slippage or any other signs of tranny failure it's more than likely going to be something simple/inexpensive?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I would have checked the NSBU like I suggested first and probably changed it out easy and cheap part at a Allison dealer.