LBZ: Stock crank in build

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
Gonna be building the lbz and was wondering about the stock crank. Is it gonna hold up? What needs done to it to help go along with the build?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
it will be fine. put a key in place of the dowel pin that aligns the ckp reluctor wheel and balancer and it will be fine.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Depending on how much power your going to lean on it with. I would make sure you have about .0028-.003 clearance in the main bearings too. I believe under the added stress, it's helping the crank flex a little, squishing out the oil jacket and then it makes contact with the bearing (caused my spun bearing I believe because I could see the contact marks :eek:).

dmax687

Founder Team TCS...
Sep 26, 2008
Wheaton IL
i know if you cryo the crank it def helps with the longevity and strength of it. Helps to align the molecules in the steel so it makes it stronger or something like that. I've seen a lot of people do it.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Unfortunately, cryo will allow it to move (warp) then a regrind will be in order. If this treatment is needed get it Metalaxed. Cryo does nothing for the strength and most certainly will not relieve the stress. Metalax will. Cryo is only helpful while the crank is being made and then it can be ground to tolerance.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Cryo does nothing for the strength and most certainly will not relieve the stress. Cryo is only helpful while the crank is being made and then it can be ground to tolerance.

x2. Cryo'ing stuff is sooooo overrated IMO. It sounds fancy and special and like it "should" help and make things stronger, but in reality, it doesnt really do anything in our applications where we are looking to "strengthen" stock pieces such as input shafts, cranks, rods, etc...

ben

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Depending on how much power your going to lean on it with. I would make sure you have about .0028-.003 clearance in the main bearings too. I believe under the added stress, it's helping the crank flex a little, squishing out the oil jacket and then it makes contact with the bearing (caused my spun bearing I believe because I could see the contact marks :eek:).

Bingo!

I really think Bearing clearences (lack of) and loose crank thrust are the two main causes of crank death.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A lot of busted cranks had main bearings wore out IIRC. Makes me wonder if that allows heat to build up and weakens the crank. Dunno. We haven't busted one yet, so I go by what I hear.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Has anyone broke an lbz or lmm crank yet? Just wondering because of miles and abuse before the build. Alot of the big hp trucks seem to have lb7 cranks and was wondering if your gonna do a build if you'd be better off getting a new crank because of fatigue? Just thinking out loud.

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
Has anyone broke an lbz or lmm crank yet? Just wondering because of miles and abuse before the build. Alot of the big hp trucks seem to have lb7 cranks and was wondering if your gonna do a build if you'd be better off getting a new crank because of fatigue? Just thinking out loud.

We did an engine swap into an LMM with a broken crank.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Hmmm. So have we found the limits of the stock cranks being that if your up around 1000rwhp and use it your gonna break it?