LBZ: Steering wheel play

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
I have a slight amount of free play in my steering wheel on my lbz (i'm ready to get it traced down and eliminated) replaced the upper intermediate shaft for the clunk, new tie rods, pitman/idler, steering gear etc. Basically the only thing factory in the steering system would be the lower intermediate shaft.

The play from what I can tell happens between the steering wheel and the steering gear. Is there any other joints like in the tilt mechanism that could cause some slop or is the lower shaft the last thing? Thanks for any recommendations.

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
Yes there is! My lly had little extra slop, it was in the joint for the steering wheel tilt. It's just a matter of removing the cover and tightening two screws, I thought I had pics but I can't find them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
This is best pic I could find on the web. Best way to describe the joint is it's like a wobble extension with 2 set screws. I removed the screws and put locktite on them one a time. Hope this helps....
42eafcd125794d2ab05584405f6d4d16.jpg

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
That's totally what it was. That bushing must be worn though.. I removed them and loctited and reinstalled and if I put the tilt wheel in certain spots the slop comes back. But in my favorite spot its gone. Thanks for the post! :thumb::thumb:

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
That's totally what it was. That bushing must be worn though.. I removed them and loctited and reinstalled and if I put the tilt wheel in certain spots the slop comes back. But in my favorite spot its gone. Thanks for the post! :thumb::thumb: