LBZ: Steering Gear Box

tj4stanker

Mar 31, 2018
Sycamore, Illinois
I have an 07 CCSB GMC 4x4 LBZ, 300,000 miles. I’ve been in the process of replacing the front end. So far, I’ve replaced the tie-rods with Rare Earth tie-rods, idler arm and bracket(moog). The power steering pump was replaced earlier this year. The pitman arm is next so I could get an alignment, but I noticed the gearbox has seepage around the output shaft for the pitman arm. I figured it’s time to replace it since I have to remove it for the pitman arm anyways. Question is, what’s been a good replacement, I’ve read a good amount of mixed reviews from Napa, Redhead and so forth. But majority of the issues have been from older posts. Anyone have any recent luck with a replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^yup. Went through 3 before this one. It’s been in the truck for 60k now, still tight

Buddy of mine has gone through 9 of them though and still has not got a tight one so there is that....

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My redhead didn't last 15k miles before it got LOOSE, and here it is almost 3 years later leaking like a sieve. I know somebody else who got 2 boxes from them since mine, and he's had problems with of them. I plan on going to a junk yard, picking one up, and resealing it to run. I put my original box in another truck after adjusting it, and over 100k miles later hes still running it with no problems.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
any love for the blue top? I have an opportunity to snag one for a steal.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
We've had really good luck with the lares new one, but I don't see it available anymore....

We've also used the redneck ram ones, they are rebuilt but have been perfect, no play or leakage at all. We've only used the redneck ram ones with their ram assist kits and have had great success with them. If you call them directly you can prob have them rebuild yours with out the steering assist or just go all in and do the assist at the same time. It works really well with these trucks.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
My redhead didn't last 15k miles before it got LOOSE, and here it is almost 3 years later leaking like a sieve. I know somebody else who got 2 boxes from them since mine, and he's had problems with of them. I plan on going to a junk yard, picking one up, and resealing it to run. I put my original box in another truck after adjusting it, and over 100k miles later hes still running it with no problems.

Good to know, my LML is going to need one soon. The last one I got was 7 years ago, sounds like it's gone down hill.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Got two from Rock Auto and both leaked within a 1000 miles. Bought a Redhead and have 12,000 and still going strong. Alignment shop laughed each time I came in with a new one.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ve been hearing good things about power steering solutions but you will most likely need to send them your box. I’m probably going to use their stuff when I go swing set steering on the tracker

DixonM

Nov 20, 2014
Florida
I have the PSC box on my truck it took forever to get it but well worth the wait. steering is great. I will tell you it is larger than stock some bolts will need a trim on the ends and the steering input shaft is I believe .015 bigger than stock which made putting the steering arm a night mare to install. Another side note do not use the moog K6536HD pitman arm as it will not go down far enough to get the nut on the shaft I ended up at the dealer ship and bought a pitman arm for a hummer. I had the AC delco professional series pitman but it looked better suited for a 1/2 truck it was thin. But absolutely no steering play in wheel and with all the horror stories I read on rebuilt boxes I did not want to do the job twice.

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
From what I’ve read, the Delphi 680 that came in the 7.5-10 duramax’s is a lot beefier than the Delphi 670 that came stock in the lbz. Is this not the case or are these just as hit and miss as the stock boxes?

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
40k on my red head box. No play and no leaks. Knock on wood! Customer service has been awesome from what I can tell from when I called to order and when I called with some questions!

VEfreak

Oct 18, 2018
Let us know how it works out for ya. This is a job I'm definitely interested in doing in the next 6 months or so.

tj4stanker

Mar 31, 2018
Sycamore, Illinois
Finally on the alignment rack. Replaced all 4 ball-joints pitman and idler arm and swapped out the gearbox for a red head. Nice and tight so far
a903c6ef4ed85b558a3c3c8ce6820d73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lingus

Nov 3, 2013
I've had good luck so far with Lares (new) box. $309 from Rock auto with no core necessary.