Steering box leaking

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
My steering box is leaking where the steering input shaft enters the box. Can I replace seals in there? I searched on here and haven't found anything. Does that mean I have to replace the whole box? The truck is an '02. It currently doesn't run and I recently had to turn it around. So I had no power steering. Just used brute force to turn the wheels and the skid loader to push it into the shop. Since then it seems to be leaking more. Did I ruin something by forcing the wheel with no power assist?

Thanks
Chris

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes, you will have to replace it. They cost 250-295 at O'riellys. They will cost you in the 400's at the dealer with wholesale pricing.

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
Hey guys, I pulled the box and removed the input shaft retaining ring and lock nut. I can see the face of the bearing. Looks like there is a seal around the outer edge of the bearing and then one on the face of the bearing that the retaining ring contacts. I'm assuming that I can just replace the bearing/seal combo? Any ideas how to remove that bearing?

Edit: I have the bearing out. Looks to be an oring around the outside. Then there is the seal that goes our the input shaft. Looks like the input shaft seal and the bearing are all one piece. I read on one guy on here finding the part. I can't find the post now. Guess I will call the dealer and see if I can just get that bearing.

Last edited:

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
I have the same problem with my 2008. Please let us know what you find out and how hard of a job it is to do this replacement. Parts number(s) and approx prices are helpful.

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
I got the bearing out and the seal removed from the bearing. I ordered a seal kit from Rock Auto for $9 and I'll see if they are the right seals. It said 1 oring and 1 seal and that sounds about right.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
FWIW there is a allingment on the shaft when you put it back together....hope you know where it was when you pulled it apart

Gear vendors sells a kit also

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
I marked the threaded insert that screws in the end of the box where the shaft goes thorugh and I have not moved the shaft from it's location. Any other points on putting it back together. I got the seal and oring from rock auto and they appear to be the right size. Hopefully will get together tomorrow night.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Chris611, Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I'm having trouble finding info. The gear box on my lb7 started leaking in the same place as yours around the input shaft. Its so bad recently that I can't drive it more than a couple miles before it's empty. Did you ever find the right seals and bearings and did it stop leaking? Thanks

carl.swoyer

Jan 31, 2016
My 05 lly started leaking. I put some Lucas stop leak in , less than half of the bottle. No longer leaking and it's been almost a year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Mines been leaking for 6 months very slowly, I just did a new pump, cooler and the box I had bought was a turd so I kept my old one on and put a half of bottle of blue something stop leak in. Brakes are firm, power steering works great and so far no leak.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Added some lucas stop leak and it helped a good bit but it still leak's. I didn't get to drive it very much before I went out of town so I'll let yall know if it quits.